T-34/85mm New at Ft Bliss Nu 11
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T-34/85mm New at Ft Bliss Nu 11 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:46 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

This one has the number 3822 stamped into the front glacis and about centered on the hull. Possible serial number?
This guys needs a lot of TLC, sheet metal work and a good paint job.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Check out that item mounted on the back of the turret and the thing sticking up from the roof. Looks like this one has been carring a US M2 HB 50 cal machine gun.

The lady in the pink shirt is a museum staff member.
Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: T-34/85mm New at Ft Bliss Nu 11 Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:03 am
    ----
Check out that item mounted on the back of the turret and the thing sticking up from the roof. Looks like this one has been carring a US M2 HB 50 cal machine gun.

It came back from Bosnia. The Yugos mounted M2s on their T34/85s. The mounts are straight off a Sherman.

#3: Re: T-34/85mm New at Ft Bliss Nu 11 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:27 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

- tanker2010

It came back from Bosnia. The Yugos mounted M2s on their T34/85s. The mounts are straight off a Sherman.

That was what I was thinking, but I didn't have any info to support that thought.

Thanks KC!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: T-34/85mm New at Ft Bliss Nu 11 Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:11 am
    ----
I think it have damaged suspension - the tank is inclined to the right side.

Are there photos of the left side of the turret and back of the hull?

#5: Re: T-34/85mm New at Ft Bliss Nu 11 Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:42 am
    ----
Hi guys,

I have been searching and actually found a picture of an Serbian T34 with what appears an M2 HMG mount

wapedia.mobi/en/File:T...Serbia.jpg

According the Sherman register more then 600 M4 Sherman have been send after the war to former Yugoslavia in the form of military aid.
It is not likely that the machine gun mount have been taken of.

If you search the net, all most everything that could be used was used.
There where M36 tank destroyers that used T54-T55 engine's.
And apparently there where T55 hull's re-fitted with M18 Hellcat turrets.

So an T35/85 with an M2 HMG mount is not the most exotic combination.

Michel

#6: Re: T-34/85mm New at Ft Bliss Nu 11 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:19 pm
    ----
Hi Koluchiy! Hi Folks!

- Koluchiy

Are there photos of the left side of the turret and back of the hull?

Took these Sunday AM just for you Sir!
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Follow up spot report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

#7: Re: T-34/85mm New at Ft Bliss Nu 11 Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:25 am
    ----
According the Sherman register more then 600 M4 Sherman have been send after the war to former Yugoslavia in the form of military aid.
It is not likely that the machine gun mount have been taken of.

When I say it's the mounts straight off a Sherman, I don't mean they came off of any given Sherman, just that they were the same.The mount on the turret and the one on the back of the turret are the same ones used on Shermans, M26s, M46s, and M36s. The mounts could have been ordered as seperate units. They were recieving T34/85s at the same time they were getting U.S. aid, as they were playing both sides for weapons. It's a standard fitting on all Yugo T34/85s.

#8: Re: T-34/85mm New at Ft Bliss Nu 11 Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:18 am
    ----
The mounts could have been ordered as seperate units.

Agreed, however they also could come from the Shermans supplied after the war

In the period after the war the Yugoslavian army did run out of spares for the sherman tanks

So re-using Sherman parts, like the M2 MG with it's mounting, onto an other tank like the T34 would be possible

Has been good practice in armies around the globe

The Dutch army still uses/used the mortar from the M106 mortar carrier, however the vehicle it self had been redrawn from active service

Michel

#9: Re: T-34/85mm New at Ft Bliss Nu 11 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:24 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

As of Monday, the turret it now facing forward.
[img][/img]
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board