WW1--Mark I & Mark V
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: WW1--Mark I & Mark V Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:38 am
    ----
First, I have emailed the museum to find out more info in re: these two vehicles but am covering all bases here....

Does anyone know any more about either of these two vehicles?
I know that 150 Mark I's were produced (75 male/75 female). How were they organzied? How many were camouflaged in this manner and to what battalion/unit?

This Mark V male belonging to the 8th Bn, Tank Corps, how were they organized? Were there any Mark V females produced? with the addition of machine guns added to males were they still producing females?

#2: Re: WW1--Mark I & Mark V Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:09 am
    ----
Shawn, A couple books on the subject, The British Tanks 1915-19, David Fletcher and Armoured Fighting Vehicles of the World, Volume One, Cannon Publications, the last here being a collections of the Profile Publications. Both very nice books.

#3: Re: WW1--Mark I & Mark V Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:09 pm
    ----
Thanks armyjunk2, I will check them out.

#4: Re: WW1--Mark I & Mark V Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:20 pm
    ----
So, which one is this?

#5: Re: WW1--Mark I & Mark V Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:21 pm
    ----
US version of the Mk VIII

#6: Re: WW1--Mark I & Mark V Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:43 pm
    ----
Thanks, Jim!

#7: Re: WW1--Mark I & Mark V Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:45 pm
    ----
No problem - I got a carpenter friend to make a 1/16 scale wooden mock-up of one and it is waaaayyyyy too big to produce at anything near a reasonable cost!

#8: Re: WW1--Mark I & Mark V Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:02 am
    ----
The Mk VIII at Aberdeen is too big to fit in the paint booth at the Refurb shop! Ther has been extra space at each end for most tanks that have been through refurb but the Mk VIII is just too long. The problem comes in because they do the paint removal there in a closed system that recovers the removed material (Which is considered hazardous because of the lead content. Last thing I heard they were trying to work out a solution

-> AFV News Discussion Board