XM-800W @ USAF Armament Museum - Eglin AFB
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: XM-800W @ USAF Armament Museum - Eglin AFB Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:27 am
    ----
Hello,

Thought you all might be interested in this XM-800W on display at the USAF Armament Museum @ Eglin AFB, FL.

#2: Re: XM-800W @ USAF Armament Museum - Eglin AFB Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:30 am
    ----
Batch #2 reloaded.

Still getting the hang of posting photos.

Cheers!

Last edited by vagabond on Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: XM-800W @ USAF Armament Museum - Eglin AFB Author: palic PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:48 am
    ----
Although sporting a bit funny camo this XM800 seems to be in a bit better shape than that one in Anniston. No Batch 2 pictures are visible but these pictures will increase Jiri Tintera's blood pressure! Brilliant and thanks!

#4: Re: XM-800W @ USAF Armament Museum - Eglin AFB Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:25 pm
    ----
This project went down at the Armor Board the year after I ETS'd, but from the specs and what I know, I believe the resouces were better spent on keeping M113 ACAV's in the field until the Brad's were sufficiently developed. The XM800 (IMHO) would have been an evolutionary dead-end that would have sapped resources better applied to a more capable tracked vehicle. I'll stop short of calling them "Wheeled Death Traps" ala you-know-who, but I'm convinced the Brad's were the way to go and the 800 series (wheeled or tracked) were already rendered obsolete before production by those funny aircraft that the wings turn around on.

#5: Re: XM-800W @ USAF Armament Museum - Eglin AFB Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:50 pm
    ----
Now, Now Doug

I'll stop short of calling them "Wheeled Death Traps" ala you-know-who,

I was having such a good time reading thru the posts til you brought up 'OUR BUDDY'!!! Rolling Eyes

Besides the USAF sure did make that XM800-W VERY pretty!! Wink

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board