Monitors
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Hardware

#1: Monitors Author: Thud68Location: AZ USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:40 am
    ----
...anybody out there who is a monitor expert? Santa would like to know what kind I would like and frankly I dont know what to tell him. I would like a 24 inch but dont know what brands are good or even what I should get for features.

I just want it to display IL-2 superbly...........

Any ideas will be appreciated. Cool

#2: Re: Monitors Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:58 am
    ----
This is the one I would want Smile ! Can't go wrong with Samsung!

www.tigerdirect.com/ap...=S203-2520

#3: Re: Monitors Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:50 pm
    ----
I have to admit I haven't bought a new monitor in quite a while. Although, with the prices dropping fast on LCD 222 to 24" models, it's getting tempting... Smile

Let us know what you decide on Thud... Wink

#4: Re: Monitors Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:18 pm
    ----
Just a couple words of warning

24" LCDs come in two groups. The cheaper ones usually have 1080 Vertical Pixels, the more expensive ones have 1200 Vertical pixels. We use 24, 27 &30" ones for Air traffic Control systems where I work. Our systems need the 1200 pixel displays to properly display without distortion (both models do 1920 pixels horizontally)

Also LCD monitors can suffer from burn in. I know when LCDs first came out everyone thought they were immune from that problem of conventional CRTs. I can assure you that is WRONG. I have NEC, Samsung, Dell, Viewsonic displays that all suffer from various degrees of burn in. We have found no way to fix it after it happens. SO be careful with leaving stagnant images on your display (Our problem is the frames that divide the display into different functional areas with the software)

We have had good luck with Dell and Samsung recently. One advantage to Dell monitors is the speaker unit that clips to the bottom of the screen

#5: Re: Monitors Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:47 pm
    ----
I have had a Samsung 24" LCD monitor (Syncmaster 244T) for a couple of years now. It is excellent, 1920x1200 screen resolution, it's just a monitor though, no audio inputs.

#6: Re: Monitors Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:44 pm
    ----
Just bought a 22" Samsung for my Pop.
I use a 22" Viewsonic (VA2226w).
Both widescreen TFT's good for image editing and gaming.

When choosing, compare resolution; refresh rate (anything less than 10ms, preferrably less than 5 ms); and contrast ratios.

It's not uncommon to have red/dead pixels in a new monitor, read up on your supplier's replacement policy should yours have one (they're not the same and they're common enough that suppliers won't automatically replace without a position / quantity measurement fail).

#7: Re: Monitors Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:54 pm
    ----
I currently have a 22" BENQ flat panel lcd monitor..awesome picture and no problems at all...

#8: Re: Monitors Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:42 am
    ----
-S-

I have the one Homfixr wants..the Samsung 26" T260HD. Its a big screen and I love it. It has a HD T.V. tuner in it. Nice big viewing area, COD 4 And IL-2 1946 looks awsome. I run COD 4 with everything maxed out. 1920 x 1200 res and I average about 95 fps. The remote is good too. The only thing I dont like about it is the crappy little speakers built into the unit, but I use my computer sound system. After looking at my old 19" screen I was using,,,I wouldnt go back. If you do get this monitor, think about a blue ray player for movies. The picture needs a little tweeking when you fist get it out of the box. All in all I am happy with this monitor.

Hammer Smile Cool Smile Cool Smile

#9: Re: Monitors Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:07 am
    ----
I have a Samsung 226BW - it was cheap but I have no complaints whatsoever... its a couple years old so surely whatever you decide on will rock!

review 226BW

#10: Re: Monitors Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:10 am
    ----
- Shadow_Homfixr
This is the one I would want Smile ! Can't go wrong with Samsung!

Homey, everything goes wrong for you and Murphy.
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

#11: Re: Monitors Author: Thud68Location: AZ USA PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:41 pm
    ----
...thanks for all the input, got a lot of choices... Cool

#12: Re: Monitors Author: horseman88 PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:08 pm
    ----
Homey, I'm gonna have to add that one to my list, Razz i can hook my ps2 up to that one

#13: Re: Monitors Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:39 pm
    ----
LOL Kit I guess your right... my luck it wouldn't work outta the box Evil or Very Mad Wink !

#14: Re: Monitors Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:26 am
    ----
Speak'n of Christmas.....I got an early present Cool ...

www.samsung.com/us/con...l&tab=spec

Not quite 26" but it is new technology as it is an LED and it looks GREAT!!! It has a 5,000,000 to 1 Dynamic contrast ratio! A big difference from my 4 year old Sony 19" LCD Laughing .

#15: Re: Monitors Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:28 pm
    ----
Uhm Homey, better let someone else 'plug 'er in'...Uhm..I'm just sayin'...lol

-> Hardware