Camp Mabry Photos
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:20 pm
    ----
Bob,

This was my first attempt at serial numbers. I had the list of vehicles from Neil's wish list and was using Piney's serial number guide on my iPhone. Previously I was satisfied just to correctly identify the vehicles!

M114 #1 threw me as the glacis plate and rear had different numbers. M114#2 had nothing on the glacis plate.

I figured I'd post the stuff and let you guys bring your expertise to bear.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
VB

#32: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:55 am
    ----
Final installment of photos for Neil's wish list!

M728
SN 142

#33: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:57 am
    ----
M981 SN F2997

#34: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:59 am
    ----
M901A1

Last edited by vagabond on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total

#35: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:02 am
    ----
M901A1 Batch 2

Last edited by vagabond on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total

#36: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:06 am
    ----
Neil lists this as a T101 Scorpion pilot and the museum calls it an M56 Scorpion. I couldn't find any SN/RN info.

#37: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:08 am
    ----
Scorpion batch 2

#38: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:09 am
    ----
Scorpion batch 3

Sort of a mini-walkaround.

Cheers,
VB

#39: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:56 pm
    ----
VB,
Many thanks!

If you're still in the area, or have a chance to return, the data plate is usually fairly easily accessible on a Scorpion (although it requires climbing on the back & getting into the crew area) - it's in front of the gunner's position, albeit a little bit in front of the gun mount...

Neil

#40: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:41 pm
    ----
- vagabond
Neil lists this as a T101 Scorpion pilot and the museum calls it an M56 Scorpion. I couldn't find any SN/RN info.

Its a T101 - you can tell by the mudguards...

#41: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:40 pm
    ----
Jim,
Would this one at Fort Sill also be a T101?

www.primeportal.net/ar..._scorpion/

Neil

#42: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:27 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Jim,
Would this one at Fort Sill also be a T101?

www.primeportal.net/ar..._scorpion/

Neil

Yes... but it looks like one of the final preseries ones that was more-or-less full M56 spec.

#43: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:23 pm
    ----
That second M981 FIST-V is actually an M901 ITV,

Give away is the lack of external fuel tanks and the two circular openings in the TOW hammer-head. The M981's Hammer-Heads didn't require the openings since it only housed the GLiD, Ground Laser Designator. Some units painted two black circles on theirs so they would not be singled out, but the presence of four antennas usually gave them away. Both were well known to be gutless wonders when maneuvering, couldn't even keep up with our M60's at the time.

#44: Re: Camp Mabry Photos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:31 am
    ----
Oops!
Thanks for the correction and info Joe!

In my zeal to get the photos I didn't take the time to really look at what I was shooting! The classic photographer's error. LOL!

I edited the post to correctly identify the vehicle.

Cheers,
VB

-> AFV News Discussion Board