Defense Industry More Stingy With Info Nowadays?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Defense Industry More Stingy With Info Nowadays? Author: Blackjack PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:05 pm
    ----
I have it in my head to model a KTO Rosomak, the Polish Patria AMV with turret and I emailed both the manufacturer of the real thing in Poland as well ads Patria in Finland in the hopes of obtaining a scale plan. I got no response whatsoever, and another fellow who saw my plea for info on another board said that he contacted Patria, was told he'd get the info, and a year later he's still waiting with little hope in getting anything from them.

Have things changed? I recall taking to a modeler who mentioned that he once contacted a US manufacturer for info, and got a packet that even included a VHS tape of the thing in action, part of the PR package that would be sent to prospective buyers. I can certainly understand the need for secrecy in certain matters (I'm not trying to recreate the armor composite formula used...) but it seems that information isn't offered in the same manner as it once was. Maybe its post 9/11 politics or whatever, but its a bit odd. I did explain I wanted to make a model of their vehicle, but so far no word and I doubt I'll ever get one.

Anyone else have similar stories? Just wondering. Regards, MK

#2: Re: Defense Industry More Stingy With Info Nowadays? Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:21 pm
    ----
I think weapons producers are trying to protect intellectual properties. I have heard of US contractors suing model makers (Revell, etc) for copyright infringements. Shocked

#3: Re: Defense Industry More Stingy With Info Nowadays? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:01 pm
    ----
Getting stuff from manufacturers usually involves going round the trade shows and ingratiating yourself with company staff....

-> AFV News Discussion Board