News from Ft Knox
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 am
    ----
An article from the Ft Knox 'Turret' Newspaper

"Fort Knox’s 233rd Transportation Company supported the installation’s range control with the movement of nearly 30 tanks Jan. 5-8 from the Ground Maintenance Division to several ranges on post.

The movement of tanks served as a means of improving Fort Knox’s ranges, as well as giving 233rd Soldiers experience with transporting various types of equipment.

The mission also was in preparation for the BRAC-connected movement of equipment from Fort Knox’s Patton Museum. When that occurs, the 233rd will have a key role in the movement of historic and heavy equipment while gaining key operational training."

Entire Article:
Targets Acquired
233rd Transportation Company takes on new mission

Regards
Don

#2: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:57 am
    ----
The print copy of the Turret has additional photos of the Hett loaded with the M60, from reverse angle.

There is also a single photo mention of the T28 being moved in a different section. Unfortunately not included on the Online version of the 'Turret'.

No biggie though, I have received a disk copy of over 100 photos taken during the move,...... Cool

If anyone is interested in any additional photos, I can post a few,.... Wink

Regards
Don

#3: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:06 am
    ----
Silly question. Smile

#4: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:57 am
    ----

Regards
Don

#5: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:13 am
    ----
If I were a betting man,

I'd say she was going to Virginia and not Georgia,

But that's just my theory Smile

#6: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:14 pm
    ----
Well, I did come across this post on another board...

www.rcuniverse.com/for...tm#9418260

Neil

#7: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:55 pm
    ----
- Dontos

No biggie though, I have received a disk copy of over 100 photos taken during the move,...... Cool

Too slow Don - by now you should have stitched them all together into a video film and posted it on youtube....

#8: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:20 pm
    ----
Jim

A bit too predictable perhaps....? Wink

Actually I'm waiting to get some video segments taken during the move, that would make a video a little better.

Also I have to get permission to use some additional images as they are not mine.

Besides, I still need to get some shots of the outer tracks being removed & any other work done, preparing the T28 for shipment. A work inprogress, I guess.

Regards
Don

#9: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:54 am
    ----
Hi guys

maybe an little of topic, there is one thing that allway's keeps my wondering

Why is there still no modern replacement for the old (production started about 1961, so old) M88 based vehicle's in the US army Confused Confused Confused

I know they have "upgraded" them , several times and they still can do the job

However the M60 also still can do the job, but they are rendered obselete and replaced with the M1-series MBT

Michel

#10: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:19 am
    ----
- Michel_Krauss
Hi guys

maybe an little of topic, there is one thing that allway's keeps my wondering

Why is there still no modern replacement for the old (production started about 1961, so old) M88 based vehicle's in the US army Confused Confused Confused

I know they have "upgraded" them , several times and they still can do the job

However the M60 also still can do the job, but they are rendered obselete and replaced with the M1-series MBT

Michel
Hi,

Short answer: Money.

An M1-based recovery vehicle was proposed (several times, IIRC) but the cost was prohibitive. There are just too many "good ideas" that MUST be included in a newly-developed vehicle like that, and they end up costing a tremendous amount of money. The M1-based Combat Engineer Vehicle (Grizzly?) fell victim to the same problem.

On the other hand, simply upgrading the key systems (engine, transmission, boom, winch, etc.) on the M88 turned out to be affordable and resulted in an extremely capable recovery vehicle that was up to (most of) the challenges of recovering M1 tanks. It ain't as modern and sexy as the sporty Abrams, but it's got a hook and plenty of HP to handle it. And, I suspect no Abrams crew who needed a recovery vehicle ever turned their noses up at 'just an M88' when it showed up to help them.

[Super-secret-don't-tell-anyone: Given moderately capable equipment, the most effective recovery tool is the one between the ears of a well-trained and creative team of recovery operators!]

Chuck

#11: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:53 pm
    ----
Hi Chuck,

thanks for the explanation, that makes things clear

Michel

#12: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:57 am
    ----
A update to the T28:

Today the outer tracks were removed by a crew at the KY MATES. Unfortunately I had to miss the work, but I have been forwarded some interesting photos.

BTW The Commanders Hatch was also opened. Cool

Regards
Don

#13: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:15 am
    ----
I have also added other photos Chun sent of the track removal and a couple of interior shots to the Volunteer News section on Armor for the Ages.

armorfortheages.com/Vo...wsPage.htm

Garry

#14: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:34 am
    ----
Garry

Was hoping you got the bundle, so saved some of the better shots for you to use.

If it wasn't for my bout with a 'seasonal flu', I would have been there. Hopefully todays personal recuperation time will get me back to full speed.

Besides, I was able to get caught up on a couple of ongoing video productions, soon to be posted. Wink

Regards
Don

#15: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:45 am
    ----
In "other news," I see that the "Maybach HL42 engine from the German SdKfz 251D/9 halftrack was run for the first time since 1945. In this video clip, volunteers Syd and Russell Stansbury are shown starting the engine."

www.armorfortheages.com/index.htm

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board