News from Ft Knox
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:47 am
    ----
- Dontos
Garry

Was hoping you got the bundle, so saved some of the better shots for you to use.

If it wasn't for my bout with a 'seasonal flu', I would have been there. Hopefully todays personal recuperation time will get me back to full speed.

Besides, I was able to get caught up on a couple of ongoing video productions, soon to be posted. Wink

Regards
Don

Chun just e-mailed me the ones you see on AFTA. If you have any others you can send, please do. I'm going down tomorrow to do some work. Hopefully I will have some more shots for the Cobra King section.
Garry

#17: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:28 pm
    ----
I have created a section just on the T28 and the preparations for its shipping on Armor for the Ages here at armorfortheages.com/Mu...inPage.htm

There is also a page with a few interior photos.

Garry

#18: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:28 pm
    ----
Very nice Garry. Thanks for taking the time to create this, I know I'll enjoy it much.

#19: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:50 am
    ----
Well, ....read it and weep.... Crying or Very sad

Armor Artifacts begin move to Benning Monday

Evil or Very Mad

Regards
Don

#20: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:23 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Well, ....read it and weep.... Crying or Very sad

Armor Artifacts begin move to Benning Monday

Evil or Very Mad

Regards
Don

Well that just sucks ass!
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

#21: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:57 pm
    ----
It's sad, though once Benning is open I can see it being unmissable (I suspect I won't be able to resist making a trip from England to see it).

#22: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:26 am
    ----
A few shots of the 1st Convoy 'pre-staging'.

Regards
Don

#23: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:43 am
    ----
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

End of an era. Never thought Fort Knox would ever stop being the home of Armor. Seems like with every year passing more of what I was part of is disappearing.

I hate to think how long it will be before these old girls will be accessible again and if the new owners will be as accommodating.

#24: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:36 pm
    ----
I'm still afraid that once the vehicles go into storage someone will decide there isn't enough money in the budget budget for the new museum and it won't get built (The same fear I have for the Ordnance Museum) Is the director of the museum moving to Benning? what about any other staff?

#25: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:37 pm
    ----
Len Dyer, the current director of the Patton Museum, will be the new director of the National Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Benning. Len is a former Marine and a stand-up guy that has brought a lot of energy and knowledge to the museum. He knows how to get things done and has been dedicated to making the museum better while working hard on the transition to the new museum. While knowing that his goal is ultimately the dismantling of the Patton Museum, we all like him and respect him. I know that the vehicles and weapons will be in good hands and he will one day have a first class armor museum. I wish him well.

As for other staff going down, no, they won't. He has invited any Patton Museum volunteers to move down to volunteer with the new museum.

#26: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:19 pm
    ----
Indeed, I feel like the Ordnance and Patton's move are not part of the BRAC, but more likely part of the MRAC (Museums Relocation Across the Country)..

P-O

#27: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:54 pm
    ----
Garry

Well said. I don't think I could have expressed it any better myself.

Regards
Don

#28: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:13 am
    ----
National Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Benning

That makes a lot of sense.

Len is a former Marine and a stand-up guy that has brought a lot of energy and knowledge to the museum. He knows how to get things done and has been dedicated to making the museum better while working hard on the transition to the new museum.

Now I can exhale. Laughing

...........the dismantling of the Patton Museum

EEEEK! Does this mean our Patron Saint will be cast to the winds of time??????

#29: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:06 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
Indeed, I feel like the Ordnance and Patton's move are not part of the BRAC, but more likely part of the MRAC (Museums Relocation Across the Country)..

P-O

Actually the museums were not even directly addressed in BRAC. The Army's view was the 'Museum is a part of the school so whereever the school goes, so goes the Museum. And the costs of movng the Museums were not directly addressed. My opinion is that everyone viewed them as just another office or shop with X number of people assigned and a formula used. I don't think anyone considered the size or fragility of the artifacts

#30: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:36 pm
    ----
Bob

Yup. Remember BRAC is supposed to save money (??!!) But they really overlooked a massive funding drain, when they failed to fully consider moving the Ord Museum & the Armor/Cavalry Museums when realigning APG & Ft Knox.

You would not believe the constant problem solving that takes place caused by some clueless BRAC 'bean counter' trying to micromanage the current mission.

Personally I don't like or agree with this mess, but I continue to assist where ever I can due to some good people trying to do the best to preserve Armor & Cavalry History, a cause I 'signed on with' years ago when I became a volunteer.

Years from now (& it will be YEARS !) when the new museum opens, it will hopefully be the amazing facility that is currently only on paper.

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board