News from Ft Knox
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:05 am
    ----
The LST building is still a part of the Patton Museum. It role in the future is still being considered, but the building is 'safe' from destruction. As a declared historicc landmark, it can not be moved,removed, or destroyed.

The old wooden museum building has long since been torn down. Over the past few years, many of the old WWII barracks that populated Ft Knox, have been removed.

AJ2
Thanks for posting all the old stuff.

BTW: Photo # 101 The M24 Chaffee was part of last weeks convoy to Ft Benning. It is no longer on Ft Knox. Crying or Very sad

Regards
Don

#47: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: panamadan PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:46 pm
    ----
Does anyone know if the vehicles in the black and white photos are in their original colors?
I like the laid back look of the museum back then-take a seat and look and all the vehicles!
Dan

#48: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:14 pm
    ----
Dan

The old photos from the 50's do show the original condition of the captured vehicles.

From these photos one can see several vehicles that have long since disappeared from the collection. Several were destined to be returned to Germany and currently exist in restored condition. ( One of the Hummels & the 251 pioneer version )

Others were removed and supposedly used as range targets. That was the fate of one of the Sd Kfz 251/9's and one of the StuG III's.

Regards
Don

#49: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:19 pm
    ----
Dan, the hatches were open on all the (indoor) vehicles and there were steps next to each vehicle so anyone who wanted to could climb in.

#50: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: panamadan PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:51 pm
    ----
Different days then! I wonder how busy the museum was in those days?
Surely there are more photos of those days about?
Dan

#51: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:14 am
    ----
The area with tables and chairs was for the mothers to congregate while the brats roamed thru the museum.

I don't have any indoor pics (flashbulbs cost money back then Shocked ) but I have some pictues of us kids climbing on the outdoor tanks, early to mid 60's.

#52: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: panamadan PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:24 pm
    ----
Dennis,
The "Dependent" area! Can one use the "D"word anymore?! Maybe the museum it self maight have some photos?
Dan

#53: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:49 pm
    ----
Spent several hours today on post & at the Museum. Besides some amazing new info, I discovered some new 'old' photos that I'll post seperately.

Here is the latest from Ft Knox:

Temporary Vehicle Locations:
Farmer Motor Pool (Trans Company M.P.):
Ft Benning Convoy #1 vehicles still loaded on HETTs

KY MATES M.P. currently the following vehicles:
T28 Super Heavy
M-1IP (former 16th Cav static)
M60A1 (former KY Mates Static)
M110 (former KY Mates Static)
M109A5 (Former Louisville ARMG Static)

Regards
Don

#54: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:02 am
    ----
What is the status of the Radcliff M103? Who controls it and is it expected to move?

#55: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:28 am
    ----
Doug

As I understand, it is 'owned' by Radcliff. It will stay.

I also assume the M114 in E-town Legion Park will remain.

Regards
Don

#56: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:51 pm
    ----
At 1000hrs EST, I observed 'Convoy 1' head South on I65, enroute to Ft Benning. Crying or Very sad

Loaded vehicles were:
1 M24 Chaffee
2x M3 Stuarts
1 M84 APC
1 LVT
1 MicV 65
1 M42 Duster
1 M981 ITV
1 MTLB
1 PT 76

Unfortunately I was at my jobsite (which overlooks I 65) and I didn't have a camera available.

Regards
Don

#57: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am
    ----
I am pretty sure they will draw quite a bit of attention on the highway.

#58: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:42 am
    ----
- Dontos
Spent several hours today on post & at the Museum. Besides some amazing new info, I discovered some new 'old' photos that I'll post seperately.

Here is the latest from Ft Knox:

Temporary Vehicle Locations:
Farmer Motor Pool (Trans Company M.P.):
Ft Benning Convoy #1 vehicles still loaded on HETTs

KY MATES M.P. currently the following vehicles:
T28 Super Heavy
M-1IP (former 16th Cav static)
M60A1 (former KY Mates Static)
M110 (former KY Mates Static)
M109A5 (Former Louisville ARMG Static)

Regards
Don

Also, I thought the M1IP & M109 were at Greenville by now... And I though the M110 was at RMP, formerly at MATES...

Neil

#59: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:24 am
    ----
Neil

I had been told that the M1IP & M109 was to go to Greenville, but for some reason they are still in the Mates yard. The M110 was to stay at the Mates for static, but it too is still in the yard.

All three are the property of the KYARNG and not the Museum. I will try to make a visit to find out what will become of the vehicles, and let you know.

Regards
Don

#60: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:51 am
    ----
- Dontos
Neil

All three are the property of the KYARNG and not the Museum. I will try to make a visit to find out what will become of the vehicles, and let you know.

Regards
Don

Point of order - I think all are the property of U.S. Army Center for Military History and jist currently assigned to the KYANG or the Museum Rolling Eyes

-> AFV News Discussion Board