interesting afghan scrap heap...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:09 pm
    ----
- bialy-r
Have anyone a photo of the Musée des Blindés FT-17 showing it in Afganistan?

Well, here is a page showing 4 different Renault FTs in Afghanistan :

[php]http://www.4600n200e.com/4436.html

Assuming that these 2 were brought to Fort Knox :

and that this one is still in Afghanistan :

it is logical that this one is the one that went to Saumur :

#32: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:47 pm
    ----
I'm still curious about any pictures and/or current status of the Disston tank that was found in Afghanistan.

Neil

#33: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:13 pm
    ----
Last information I had was that it was too dangerous to go anywhere near them as the area was littered with unexploded Russian fragmentation bomblets. I'll see if I can find out anything recent.

#34: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:43 pm
    ----
The engine is so small :o)

#35: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:37 pm
    ----
BTT

Anybody read, sean any new info or been there lately?

Who's got a mate in the military who's there on rotation?

#36: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:28 am
    ----
- Hanno_Spoelstra
BTT

Anybody read, sean any new info or been there lately?

Who's got a mate in the military who's there on rotation?

Give me a year or so, and I might be somewhere near there... Shocked Rolling Eyes

Chuck

#37: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:36 am
    ----
- C_Sherman

Give me a year or so, and I might be somewhere near there... Shocked Rolling Eyes

Chuck,

If you go there, or know someone who will go there, please let me know.

Thanks,
Hanno

#38: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:09 am
    ----
- Hanno_Spoelstra
- C_Sherman

Chuck,

If you go there, or know someone who will go there, please let me know.

Thanks,
Hanno

"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future. " - Yoda

#39: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:50 am
    ----
Disston tractor tank – Kabul scrapyard, Kabul (Afghanistan)

testofbattle.com/phpBB...fe29094195

"David - you solved a mystery for me. One of these Disston contraptions was in a holding area behind my camp at Pol-e-Charki. I wondered at the magnificant improvisation that it way - an old caterpillar tractor with individual Peoria Illinois stamps on each track link.

To imagine these were manufactured and sold. If indeed only three were sent to Afghanistan, then we've now seen all three. Two I saw - one at Pol-e-Charki, east of Kabul, and one at the garrison near Daruluman in southern Kabul. This picture you posted is of a third distinct example - the other two still had the tracks/infrastructure. In fact I believe the one from Daruluman is the one in the museum display in this link (as it was the only one with gun still mounted and tracks intact.)

The india pattern carriers were there too, along with so many other items. If there wasn't a war on...."

Are there any plans to rescue it ?

#40: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:01 am
    ----
BMP-1 with ZIS-3
BMP-1 with ZPU-2

www.facebook.com/photo...048%2C1365

#41: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:42 am
    ----
I think it's a ZU-23-2 mount, minus the guns. Note the trays for the ammo boxes. The ZPU-2 is configured differently.

#42: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:17 am
    ----
Yes

www.primeportal.net/ap...23_aa_gun/

#43: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:59 pm
    ----
The Afghans were wickedly imaginative when it came to various vehicle/weapon combos. Like this BRDM-2 with BMP-1P turret. I recall coming across a debate, however, on whether this was a functioning combination or just happened at the scrapheap.

#44: Re: interesting afghan scrap heap... Author: mikek92888 PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:38 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
Last information I had was that it was too dangerous to go anywhere near them as the area was littered with unexploded Russian fragmentation bomblets. I'll see if I can find out anything recent.

I wonder if you could use one of those little bomb disposal robots to take closeup pictures of it.

-> AFV News Discussion Board