Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:22 pm
    ----
Some vehicles I am looking for for the USA AFV Register. Pics needed & additional info welcome:

Museum Storage (formerly part of the Marine Air-Ground Museum)
BMP-1 SOV/IRQ std?
CWS-POA-H5 Sherman USA std Two-barreled flamethrower tank
King armored car USA std undergoing restoration
LVT4 USA std?
LVTP5A1 USA std?
M2A3 light tank USA std? SN 312?, RN 30433
M3A1 Stuart USA std?
M5A1 Stuart USA std?
M60A1 RISE USA std?
SU-76M SOV std? One of two SU-76s in the United States
T-34/85 SOV std?
T-62M SOV/IRQ std? One of seven T-62s in the US
T-72M SOV/IRQ std?
Type 69 command tank CHN/IRQ std? One of nine Type 69s in the US
Type 95 Ha-Go JPN std?
Type 97 Shinhoto Chi-Ha JPN std? One of four in the US
(already have the M3 Half-Track GMC & Type 4 Ho-Ro)

Henry Machine Gun Range (Range #8)
LVTP5 USA wre
M4A3(105) Sherman USA wre
M47 Pattons (4 or 5) USA wre
M48 Patton USA wre

Thanks!

Neil

#2: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:37 pm
    ----
Any help with these?

Thanks!

Neil

#3: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:14 pm
    ----
You are wishing aren't you Wink Didn't you already run into the brick wall there soon after the new museum opened?

#4: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:30 pm
    ----
Yep, just hoped anyone had some pics before the old museum closed...

Yeah, last I checked my contact there says the storage area is still inaccessible Sad

At least they gave up their "First Sample" M1917 to the Ordnance Museum.

Neil

#5: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:45 pm
    ----
From what I was told it was only on loan to them. It is supposedly owned by the Smithsonian if I remember correctly

#6: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:51 pm
    ----
Yep, although apparently the Smithsonian doesnt/didnt know where it was (even at Quantico) Wink

Neil

#7: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:20 pm
    ----
Damn Marines - field requisitioning anything and putting their markings on it Rolling Eyes

#8: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:22 pm
    ----
This is somewhat reminiscent of my recent attempts to get some images of the RUC's Lancia armoured car/truck. Having toddled down to the RUC Museum and survived the vehicle & body search at RUC (PSNI sic) Headquarters I turned up at the museum and was informed that the vehicle in question was actually in storage at the Ulster Transport Museum. So armed with authorisation to examine it I set off to the UTM and, having presented myself, flourished my permission slip and this caused a certain amount of confusion as nobody knew where it was. After a search of the storage sheds it indeed was not there - much to the UTMs puzzlement and the RUC Museums extreme annoyance... And nobody seems to know where it is...

#9: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:28 pm
    ----
I took photos at Quantico in 1984 - if you're desperate, would they do?

#10: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:34 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
This is somewhat reminiscent of my recent attempts to get some images of the RUC's Lancia armoured car/truck. Having toddled down to the RUC Museum and survived the vehicle & body search at RUC (PSNI sic) Headquarters I turned up at the museum and was informed that the vehicle in question was actually in storage at the Ulster Transport Museum. So armed with authorisation to examine it I set off to the UTM and, having presented myself, flourished my permission slip and this caused a certain amount of confusion as nobody knew where it was. After a search of the storage sheds it indeed was not there - much to the UTMs puzzlement and the RUC Museums extreme annoyance... And nobody seems to know where it is...

Yeah, in trying to track down info on the Smithsonian's former "ordnance collection" mentioned in AFV News 40 years ago, I spoke to a gentleman from the military history section. He mentioned they "had" a World War I tank, but were trying to figure out where it was Wink

Neil

#11: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:37 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
I took photos at Quantico in 1984 - if you're desperate, would they do?

Trevor,
That would be absolutely great - and I'm sure many on here would enjoy them in general.

Still annoyed that I lived in Northern Virginia for four years (1998-2002) while the old Air-Ground Museum was open and never visited Mad

Of course I assumed everything there would be displayed at the new museum...

Neil

#12: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:00 pm
    ----
Ok, I'll get on to it - but it may take a week or two for me to get them all scanned and online.

#13: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:16 pm
    ----
M3A1? www.flickr.com/photos/...220453206/

www.flickr.com/photos/...325785078/

Last edited by MarkHolloway on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

#14: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:18 pm
    ----
LVT3 or 4? www.flickr.com/photos/...762883342/

#15: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:20 pm
    ----
M26 www.flickr.com/photos/...325785066/

-> AFV News Discussion Board