Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: blackdog PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:22 pm
    ----
That's the one I'm talking about.

#17: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:21 pm
    ----
- blackdog
How can you tell? As far as I know, it was in the Amphibious Museum on Camp Pendleton and then subsequently loaned to a private collector, sold illegally by this person, restored by the next owner, then taken back by the USMC.

Interesting - So which is this one then...

#18: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:04 pm
    ----
- blackdog
How can you tell?

Pictures from the Army trials - conducted seperatly from the USMC trials of course Wink

#19: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:01 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
So Jim, what is this then?

preservedtanks.com/Ima...hotoID=200

Neil

Thats the original prototype - it performed well so both the Army & USMC decided to buy their own prototypes. The US Army (of course) went for a utility version and the USMC went for the luxury model Wink

#20: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:49 pm
    ----
So Jim, what is this then?

Neil

#21: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:44 pm
    ----
Oh and I fixed the link on my web site...

#22: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: blackdog PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:38 pm
    ----
How can you tell? As far as I know, it was in the Amphibious Museum on Camp Pendleton and then subsequently loaned to a private collector, sold illegally by this person, restored by the next owner, then taken back by the USMC.

On a related note, I find this vehicle to be the perfect example of why many one of a kind vehicles are better off in civilian hands in private collections than in government hands. It would have never been restored to the condition it is now in if it had stayed in the Marine Corps.

#23: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:37 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Its close, but this appears to be the second XM759

No thats the original prototype.

And this is the Marine Corp prototype..

EDIT - Had to change the image link because I was working on the web pages

Last edited by JimWeb on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

#24: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:34 pm
    ----
- blackdog

That is an army prototype

#25: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:29 pm
    ----
Yeah, that and the front shape of the hull. I'll need to check my Crismon sometime this weekend, unless someone can beat me to it...

Neil

#26: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: blackdog PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:21 pm
    ----
Ah, I didn't realize that they were different ones (wasn't looking close enough). I'm going to guess that it is an earlier prototype. I was always under the impression that there were two surviving prototypes including the one at the Mechanized Museum but I had never even seen pictures of the ones that were rumored to have been at Quantico until now. So make that three surviving examples unless someone knows otherwise?

The funkier looking one definitely could be an earlier prototype, judging by the windshield shape on it compared to the one in these drawings.

#27: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:18 pm
    ----
Its close, but this appears to be the second XM759

I'm guessing the other one is an earlier prototype model?

Neil

#28: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: blackdog PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:10 pm
    ----
I'm going to guess one of the XM579 MTV's - 7 Prototypes Made - 2 Surviving

Here is the other one:

www.com-central.net/in...amp;t=2874

www.almc.army.mil/alog...6_69so.pdf

Design is referenced in the amphibious vehicles book that I previously posted.

#29: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:02 pm
    ----
Many thanks Trevor, superstar, and Chris!

FYI, I am still looking for the following from this museum:

LVT4 USA std?
M2A3 light tank USA std? SN 312?, RN 30433
(Transferred from the U.S. Army Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground to the Marine Air-Ground Museum in 1961. One of four surviving M2 light tanks)
M3A1 Scout Car USA std?
M29 Weasel USA std?
Roebling Alligator 3 USA std?

Little surprised no one had pics of the King armored car? (besides the link I found) or the Roebling Alligator?

And can anyone identify the designation for this marginal terrain vehicle?

Neil

#30: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:26 pm
    ----
Neil, it's done - the Marine Aviation Museum vehicles are now in the PreservedTanks database:

Marine Corps Aviation Museum

Each tank gets its own entry, but if you're also interested in the other vehicles (LVTP-5, HMAs, etc.) then look through the location photos. (Note I've given it the new name just to save me trouble later when I update it).

I hope it's what you needed.

Supertsar - is there any chance I could add your photo's? It would be great to show the vehicles in earlier times.

-> AFV News Discussion Board