T95 (9B1047) recovered range target (Ft Knox ?)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T95 (9B1047) recovered range target (Ft Knox ?) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:34 pm
    ----
Bob

Is this 'your' T95?

Below is a series of photos as it was 'found' & then recovered:

I get the impression this was recovered here at Ft Knox, but no idea when.

Regards
Don

#2: Re: T95 (9B1047) recovered range target (Ft Knox ?) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:26 am
    ----
If you are talking about the Weirton T95 I seem to remember someone saying it had been used for some alternate engine testing somewhere in Ohio (Columbus?)

#3: Re: T95 (9B1047) recovered range target (Ft Knox ?) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:37 am
    ----
The digitalized file of photos was only marked with the RN and I assumed it to be possibly Ft Knox range, but not necessarily so.

It does have the M48 style turret similiar to Weirton. Since so few T95s exist, I believe this may be it. There is one close up shot of a penetration hole in the side of the turret and there is also a photo of a casting SN from on the vehicle somewhere, perhaps turret.

Its obviously not the T95 in the collection here.

Regards
Don

#4: Re: T95 (9B1047) recovered range target (Ft Knox ?) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:00 pm
    ----
I do not remember any penetration holes in the turret (but it has been a few years) I'll have to dig the pictures back out. There was a casting SN (I think on the lower bow) I can't see photobucket from here at work but I thought I placed that picture out there

#5: Re: T95 (9B1047) recovered range target (Ft Knox ?) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:28 pm
    ----
Don,

Your top picture is not the same as the tank shown being recovered. Maybe the hull but not the turret. The one above has the 90mm smooth bore gun in a fixed mount. The Tank below is equipped with one of the old T48 turrets that has the .50 cal. cradle stowage points on the turret rear, M48's had them in front by the mantle.

I believe this recovered tank in the lower series of photos is the one at Fort McCoy.

Notice the special bracket installed on the left side, which is also in the series of pictures.

You said there was a picture of a hole in the turret but didn't say where. The McCoy example shows evidence of a strike to the left side by a Heat projectile.

The circle indicates what looks like a weld repair, the arrow points to what looks like stippling common to Heat round detonation. Notice that the Grunt rail and right side bracket are missing, possibly torn off by a blast.

Here are the casting numbers if you want to compare with yours.
Turret

Hull

What do you think ?

#6: Re: T95 (9B1047) recovered range target (Ft Knox ?) Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:53 pm
    ----
I just touched the old T95 thread to make it 'bubble to the surface' There are pictures of the Weirton and McCoy T95s as well as discussion about which serial number is where (about 4-5 known examples)

#7: Re: T95 (9B1047) recovered range target (Ft Knox ?) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:25 pm
    ----
Joe

I believe you are correct. The hole seems to match up. As for the cast SN, it is 127 and seems to be on the TC CWS. McCoys no longer has the TC CWS so it would seem it was stripped.

Yesterday I reviewed over 1000 'new' images, and for some reason I didn't pick up on it possibly being the McCoy T95.

BTW: The stuff I dug out is WWI, interwar, WWII, and post war. Its gonna take some time to organize all the neat stuff,.......stay tuned

Regards
Don

#8: Re: T95 (9B1047) recovered range target (Ft Knox ?) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:07 am
    ----
Don,

The CWS used in your first picture was the experimental Aircraft Armaments Model 108 cupola. It was designed to correct the M1 cupolas problems on the M48A1/A2. Used the same ring diameter. This cupola was never adopted due to (You guessed it) feeding problems. It was very popular as a stand in though.

Here it is on the M48A2 test subject

After being used with the T95 series it served as an interim on the XM-60 until the M19 came available with M85 MG. An adapter plate had to be used since the M60's opening had a larger diameter.

No idea what became of it after that.

BTW, Wasn't McCoy used as a cold test site for the T95 ? Wondering if they just abandoned this old girl once the program was canceled. The background in the pictures look very much like that area. Also, wouldn't this new info ID her as 9B1047?

#9: Re: T95 (9B1047) recovered range target (Ft Knox ?) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:53 am
    ----
My vote is that Ft McCoy T95 is Hull RN 9B1047, which also lends to the fact that the McCoy hull is cast SN #12. What that means, is still up for speculation but this new photo find does add a little info to the subject.

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board