What model of Sherman is this one?
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:51 pm
    ----
Here's some enlarged shots of the welded on gun of this Indian Sherman.

usera.imagecave.com/ta...man_11.jpg

usera.imagecave.com/ta...man_12.jpg

usera.imagecave.com/ta...man_13.jpg

Typical bad museum job.

#17: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:57 pm
    ----
Here are some Indian Shermans.

Indian M4A1E4

usera.imagecave.com/ta...man_02.jpg

Indian M4A3E4

usera.imagecave.com/ta...man_01.jpg

usera.imagecave.com/ta...man_04.jpg

usera.imagecave.com/ta...man_06.jpg

Indian M4A4

usera.imagecave.com/ta...man_05.jpg

#18: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:01 am
    ----
Here are some Pakistani M4A1E4s. Some have the E9 suspenssion.

usera.imagecave.com/ta...man_01.jpg

usera.imagecave.com/ta...man_03.jpg

usera.imagecave.com/ta...man_09.jpg

usera.imagecave.com/ta...man_10.jpg

usera.imagecave.com/ta...man_19.jpg

Notice all are M4A1E4s.

#19: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:02 am
    ----
Excellent series of photos!

#20: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: panamadan PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:01 pm
    ----
Any photos of the turrets on the M4A1E9's or M4A1E4's? I'm looking to do a 'E4 as a model project.
Thanks, Dan

#21: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:25 pm
    ----
Dan,

I could help you out with picture's of some of the M4A1E9's here in the Netherlands

Can not help you with the E4

Michel

#22: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:08 pm
    ----
Any photos of the turrets on the M4A1E9's or M4A1E4's? I'm looking to do a 'E4 as a model project.

What makes it an E4 is the 76MM gun, and what makes it an E9 is the spaced out VVS suspenssion. The turrets are just low bustel turrets no different than the original 75MM turret. Most did have a loaders hatch added. Most MAP Shermans had 3 track blocks added to each side of the turret. Other than that jsut a normal turret.

#23: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: panamadan PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:47 am
    ----
Right, I know that, but am looking to see if they all had a low-bustle turret with MAP aditions or maybe some had a high-bustle turret. Here's a nice build using a high-bustle turret: www.track-link.net/for...blogs/7356
Thanks, Dan

#24: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:03 am
    ----
Jim W's good at getting stuff wrong sometimes. He used the high bustle turret because it had the loaders hatch, not because it was right. It says in the blog he was building it out of spare parts. You can comb through all the pictures you can find. I suspect you want to do a high bustle turret, because that's what you've got on hand?

#25: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:45 pm
    ----
As I understand it the High bustle turret was adopted to give more clearance to the larger hatches of the later production 47 degree hull.

Now it is always possible that some were retrofitted to smaller hatch hulls during rebuilding (Never say Never with Shermans Rolling Eyes ) I suspect the hull would be an indicator for what kind of turret was installed

#26: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: panamadan PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:39 pm
    ----
I do have the high-bustle at hand as well as low. However, I would need to add the loaders hatch to the low bustle, which really isn't too hard. I'd just like to find as many pics as I can before I start the project.
I imagine that both types of turrets were used on these tanks.
Love to see the work orders that show all the modifications that are added to the MAP Shermans.
Dan

#27: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:23 pm
    ----
The only reason I think low bustle turrets wouldn't be used on large hatch hulls would be safety. When the turret is traversed to the rear you couldn't open the driver or BOG hatch. Putting a high bustle on a small hatch wouldn't matter since it would increase clearance. Now wheter anyone at the depot actually thought about the issue is open for debate Rolling Eyes

And wasn't the loaders hatch a mod that was made after production? So it might have been done to any or all of the MAP tanks. In fact if the 76mm took more space in the smaller original turret it might have been part of the mod to add a loaders hatch. But I'll admit I'm just guessing

#28: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: panamadan PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:14 pm
    ----
Bob,
Yes, I understand that the loaders hatch was added post-war and have seen photos of the new hatch after it was added. I inagine it was added due to the 76mm and it makes plain sense to have two hatches up top. It look like the Tasca kit is going to get a new turret hatch! Laughing
Dan

#29: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:31 am
    ----
I would say most M4A3E4s had high bustle turrets simply because most M4A3(75)Ws had high bustle turrets. The ones that I've seen that didn't had applique armor on the right side. (These are believed to be recycled turrets from M32 conversions.) The south asian tanks shown above have the shadows characteristic of the modified turret contour. While they could be low bustle turrets, I suspect they are not.

The M4A1E6s are bit harder to fathom. I imagine that they used altered low bustle turrets.

I should note that the Ordnance Committee item on these conversions said nothing about adding - or a preference for - a loader's hatch under the turret modification list.

KL

#30: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:40 am
    ----
Yes, the A3s would have high bustle turrets, but not the A1s. Going from photos, most of the A1's had a loaders hatch added.

-> AFV News Discussion Board