Thun army base. Diesel Centurion
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:35 am
    ----
Another great discovery from my last trip. This Centurion is a prototype with diesel engine, that was at some point evaluated by the swiss army, but never entered in service. It's not clear if the tank was a swiss one, retrofitted with the new engine, or it came from England. The conversion looks similar to the one made in Israel, but I can't tell which engine's model was used.
The r/n used starts with zero, meaning it was an experimental vehicle

Massimo

#2: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:56 pm
    ----
If the air cleaner units are any clue, I'd say she's using the Continental AVDS-1790 series engine. What I find interesting is the units are equipped with Air Restriction indicators. Something that wasn't applied until the 70's.

BTW, very nice collection of pictures Massimo.

#3: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:37 pm
    ----
Thanks Joe. I was expecting some help from your side Wink

I remember reading something on a book covering israelian Centurions, I'll dig it and see if there is any mention of english/swiss attempts on diesel engine.

Massimo

#4: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:23 pm
    ----
Is this one in the museum or ''just'' a gateguard/monument at Thun?

Regards,
Lesley

#5: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:40 pm
    ----
In 1968 two Dutch Centurions (a mk.5/2 serial KX-10-72 and a mk. 7/2 serial KX-94-00) were equipped with a Continental A.V.D.S.-1790-2 diesel-engine by the 574th Tank Workshop in Leusden. These two tanks were given back to the USA and MAYBE delivered to Israel. This test was a success, but it cost 800.000 guilders back in those times. A brand new Leopard 1 costed 1.100.000 guilders. So the NL cents were not modified.

Interesting that the Swiss also had Diesel cents.

Regards,
Lesley

#6: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:21 pm
    ----
Is this one in the museum or ''just'' a gateguard/monument at Thun?

It's a monument inside the army base. That's why it's the first time I ever heard of it.

The Panzermuseum (outdoor) has two Centurions, one swiss, one canadian:
www.preservedtanks.com...p;Select=4

The SHP collection (indoor) has a swiss Centurion in running order.

BTW Lesley, this time I took some additional shots of the T-54A:
www.preservedtanks.com...p;Select=4

I'll send them to Trevor later on, to add to what's already on his website

Massimo

#7: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:57 am
    ----
Thanks Massimo!

Regards,
Lesley

#8: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: ossie PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:31 am
    ----
Hi
I have been interested in this Centurion for some time doesn’t think it is Israeli but I think the hull is Jordanian.
Reason I say that is it is fitted with hydro gas suspension and is rare on it sown the only other tank to have this n the upgraded Centurions is the Olifant.
But this uses a late hull so could be a Israeli one or more then likely a Jordanian one.
Reason I say this is that when the Sweden was looking at upgrading they were given a hull from Israeli and they put a turret on it.
Same with South Africa.
the Hump looks different to others and also makes me think its Jordanian hull.
Ossie

#9: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:29 am
    ----
Thanks Ossie. How you can recognize a Centurion with hydro gas suspension? Where such suspensions only used in South Africa? Who designed it?
I have no written documentation about this tank, so any additional info you could gain is the most welcome.

Massimo

#10: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:16 pm
    ----
The Jordanian connection would explain the later air cleaner boxes with restriction gauges.

#11: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: Landsverk PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:32 pm
    ----
Two links to Youtube, one Diesel Centurion and one Standard Centurion out in the open last week.
Swedish Army converted 80 Centurions to diesel early 1980's, same configuration as the Israeli. These tanks were used until 2000. Now only a few remain in museums.
The tanks on the links belong to the Swedish Army Museum and they will be a part of the new vehicle museum - Arsenalen - that will open next year.

Stridsvagn 104: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UfAXpo1NgI
Stridsvagn 101: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpVRW8U8Bv8

#12: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: WimD.Location: The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:39 pm
    ----
Hello,

Very interesting to see and to compare the Diesel with the Gasoline version.
HP and torque almost the same, but the automatic gear-box makes the difference, I think.

Regards,
Wim.

#13: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:00 pm
    ----
Last year in Full I've got the opportunity to chat with an old guy who served in the israelian army as a Centurion driver, first with the gasoline tanks, then diesel. He is a veteran of Six Days, Attrition and Kippur wars. He is retired and now works as volunteer in the museum.

He said that the diesel engine really made the difference, making the tank much easier and pleasant to drive.

I've met him briefly 15 days ago, during season re-opening in Full. I told him about this very specific tank, he was aware of it, because another volunteer was involved during the testings, but he never seen a picture of it. They both wish this tank will move to Full one day Smile

Massimo

#14: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:27 am
    ----
I noticed the same thing in the videos,

The major difference is the CD-850 series transmission. Just a beautiful piece of machinery and effortless to steer. Hard to believe it's been around since the M46 and still in use today.

#15: Re: Thun army base. Diesel Centurion Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 pm
    ----
Using an online translator on this page gives some additional info:
www.centurion-verein.c...rofit.html

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board