Ft Knox (KY MATES) Sneak Peek
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ft Knox (KY MATES) Sneak Peek Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:01 pm
    ----
Hey all

Due to an unexpected day off I was able to check in at the KY MATES to see the T28.

Here is a preview of a quick visit.

I'll post more as I did 'dive into the belly of the beast'. Rolling Eyes (I was able to climb into the T28.) Cool

More later
Regards
Don

#2: Re: Ft Knox (KY MATES) Sneak Peek Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:47 pm
    ----
I've put together some photos that I thought were interesting:

This series shows the 4 sets of sprockets. One of the sprockets is quite different, with a center guide bracket. The inner Sprocket has an inset splined center hub to allow a secure outer sprocket mounting & coupling.

The outer tracks are seperated and joined together. The cross bracket is a fabrication by the ARNG mechanics to safely secure both sets of tracks together.

The point of entry was the drivers hatch, into the drivers compartment (top left photo). Perhaps the most unusual item was the speedometer of a tank that tops out at 12 MPH. It reads up to 60 MPH,.....WHY ?

Also found a small oval 'plaque' bolted on the hull wall, in the loaders area. It read "This M95 was rebuilt in Jan 80 by Jim Legay & Al Trujillo':

Regards
Don

#3: Re: Ft Knox (KY MATES) Sneak Peek Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:33 am
    ----
I thought vintage pictures we've seen of the T28 outer tracks being towed showed them being connected interior to interior not exterior to exterior

#4: Re: Ft Knox (KY MATES) Sneak Peek Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:00 am
    ----
This is from the 'draft' Operator Manual.

Regards
Don

#5: Re: Ft Knox (KY MATES) Sneak Peek Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:22 am
    ----
Okay I was wrong. Rolling Eyes So someone lost the original connecting brackets Mr. Green

Actually doing it that way makes sense

#6: Re: Ft Knox (KY MATES) Sneak Peek Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:10 pm
    ----
Well not quite at the KY MATES, I was able to take some photos of the T28's 'power pac' before it departed RMP for the MATES. It'll be crated up and shipped along with the T28, when it departs.

For those unaware, the T28 is powered by the standard Ford GAF. This one, which was removed from the T28, was rebuilt in March 1955 !!??

Regards
Don

#7: Re: Ft Knox (KY MATES) Sneak Peek Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:41 pm
    ----
- Dontos
For those unaware, the T28 is powered by the standard Ford GAF. This one, which was removed from the T28, was rebuilt in March 1955 !!??

Probably while it was being used by the Test and Evaluation Command Engineer Research and Development Laboratory at the Fort Belvoir Engineer Proving Grounds - we have that picture of it there in 1951.

Neil

#8: Re: Ft Knox (KY MATES) Sneak Peek Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:15 pm
    ----
I was thinking the same thing.

It is another 'entry' in the T28 timeline that Bob can add.

Regards
Don

#9: Re: Ft Knox (KY MATES) Sneak Peek Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:57 am
    ----
Wait a minute did I get volunteered for something Shocked

#10: Re: Ft Knox (KY MATES) Sneak Peek Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:19 am
    ----
- bsmart
Wait a minute did I get voluntold for something Shocked

Bob,
Fixed it for ya'.
D.

-> AFV News Discussion Board