RIA - Russia may unveil new 'super-tank' in summer 2010
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: RIA - Russia may unveil new 'super-tank' in summer 2010 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:41 pm
    ----
en.rian.ru/mlitary_new...14386.html

00:36 26/03/2010

Russia's new main battle tank (MBT), the T-95, could be exhibited for the first time at an arms show in the Urals Region this summer, the developer and future manufacturer of the tank has said.

The development of the new tank dubbed "Item 195" began at the Uralvagonzavod design bureau in the early 1990s. Russia will become the first country in the world to have the 5th-generartion MBT if the military commissions the vehicle.

"The work on the project has been conducted for many years. If the government gives us a 'green light' we will exhibit the tank at the [Russian Expo Arms 2010] arms show in Nizhny Tagil this summer," general director of the Uralvagonzavod plant Oleg Siyenko told RIA Novosti in an exclusive interview.

"I cannot disclose the characteristics of the tank, but I can assure you that we have met all the requirements put forward by the military," he said.

According to unofficial sources, the T-95 will feature better firepower, maneuverability, electronics and armor protection than Russia's latest T-90 MBT or comparable foreign models.

It will weigh about 55 tons and its speed will increase from 30-50 kph to 50-65 kph (19-31 mph to 31-40 mph).

The new tank may be equipped with a 152-mm smoothbore gun capable of firing guided missiles with a range of 6,000-7,000 meters.

In contrast to existing designs, the gun will be located in a remotely-controlled turret to improve 3-men crew survivability.

Meanwhile, the T-90 MBT, developed in the 1990s on the basis of the T-72B tank, will be the backbone of the armored units until 2025, according to the Russian military.

Russia currently produces up to 100 T-90 MBTs annually and plans to have at least 1,500 vehicles in service with the Ground Forces.

#2: Re: RIA - Russia may unveil new 'super-tank' in summer 2010 Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:05 am
    ----
Hi,

Sounds like quite a sales pitch to me. The fact that there are no official or open-source specifications or evaluations tends to set off alarm bells when I hear spokesmen "assuring" me of what something can do. We'll have to wait and see what makes this a "5th generation" tank, but call me skeptical at the outset.

C

#3: Re: RIA - Russia may unveil new 'super-tank' in summer 2010 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:11 pm
    ----
And as quick as that, it looks like its been canceled:

www.aviationweek.com/a...d=blogDest

Russia Cancels Arms Programs
Posted by M Pyadushkin at 4/8/2010 8:28 AM CDT

On April 5 the Russian government discussed the program for the development of the national defense industry for 2011-2020. The Prime Minister Vladimir Putin appealed to the military to define what weapons they really need and for what tasks. He stated that 40% of defense R&D programs don’t result in anything representing just a waste of resources.

The military was quick to respond. Two days later deputy defense minister and chief of armaments Vladimir Popovkin announced that a number of programs for development of new armor and artillery weapons will be cancelled. The main victim is the mysterious Object 195 program that was aimed to develop a new generation main battle tank to replace existing T-80 and T-90 tanks in the Russian Army. The new tank also dubbed T-95 has been developed by Nizhny Tagil Uralvagonzavod armor manufacturer in complete secrecy for more than 15 years. Popovkin said the military will focus on modernization of the T-90 instead.

Among other canceled development programs are the 152 mm Koalitziya-SV self-propelled double-barrel artillery system, BMD-4 airborne combat vehicle, 125 mm Sprut-SD self-propelled anti-tank gun and BMPT tank support combat vehicle. All these programs were in the phase of prototype testing. Popovkin said these weapons hadn’t been included in the defense procurement program, but the government will reimburse the designers for their development expenses.

#4: Re: RIA - Russia may unveil new 'super-tank' in summer 2010 Author: warddw PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:55 pm
    ----
Don't read too much into that article yet - conflicting source statements...

#5: Re: RIA - Russia may unveil new 'super-tank' in summer 2010 Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:07 am
    ----
5th generation?

I'm going out on a limb to suggest examples -
1st M3/M4 Sherman
2nd M26 Pershing
3rd M48/M60
4th M1 Abrams family
5th ????

-> AFV News Discussion Board