Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: junglejim65 PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:00 pm
    ----
I think this site would be the best place to ask, I'm looking for good photos of M60A1 or A3 (which should be the same?) and A3 TTS main sight housings, both open and closed from all sides. I'd like to take a shot at scratch-building masters for the open sights on 1:35 scale kits, as they are all molded in a closed position and and even then seem under-detailed. Chuck I'm sure you sent me some before, but do you think I can find them now?! Most photos on-line are from ground level, I've found a few but not many good detail pics out there. Appreciate it if you can help, either post or e-mail me direct at jhcarswellATxplornetPERIODcom (replace capitals with the proper symbol obviously Wink )

Cheers,
Jim

#2: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:09 pm
    ----
Calling JoeD, calling JoeD!

#3: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:44 pm
    ----
Some shots of a closed one on a M60A3TTS here, Jim: www.kcamps.org/gallery...&g2_page=1

M60A1 RISE/Passive : www.primeportal.net/ta...php?Page=5

M60A1 with sight open: www.toadmanstankpictur.../m60a1.htm

M60A3TTS: www.toadmanstankpictur.../m60a3.htm

Get ahold of John Charvat, I'm pretty sure he has shots of a A3TTS sight open. St. James used them for his build.

#4: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:15 pm
    ----
Welcome Jungle Jim,

If you can wait until Sunday I can help you out. I'm not at home right now and didn't bring my data base or even my camera with me Shocked . To start these two pictures are in my photogallery here.

Sight housings
Open sight housings and LRF Blister

I have much better images at home along with maintenance manual drawings. Just let me know what you need.

#5: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: junglejim65 PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:52 pm
    ----
Thanks Guys. Joe, no rush right now, just gathering info. If you have any backside shots that would be great.

Cheers,
Jim

#6: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:35 pm
    ----
junglrejim65,

The link below is to my Photobucket account.

M60A3 TTS Sight Housing

Let me know if you need more info/drawings/pictures. I will post the IR/Passive housing for M60/A1/A3 later. Had to sort through a whole lot of folders to find these.

#7: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: junglejim65 PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:20 pm
    ----
Joe, thanks a lot, those help a lot. It seems the back side is fairly featureless (except the 'tabs' that bolt the unit down) and they confirm that the small circular plates are on both sides (for the hinging/swiveling of the protective cover). I appreciate you spending the time to search these out.

Jim

#8: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:31 pm
    ----
Jim,

Not a problem, I keep a pretty extensive database on all things M60 (US models). Kinda my niche here.

Here are my images for the IR/Passive sight housing.

M48/M60 Sight Housing

This Housing was used on late M48A3, M48A5, M60, M60A1, and M60A3 Passive.

#9: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:38 pm
    ----
Hi all,

Did the M60 every use a "door"-style doghouse on the GPS? I had in my mind that it did, but now I think I'm confused with the TCs cupola doghouse....

Chuck

#10: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:56 pm
    ----
Chuck,

All M60 Gunner's sight housings used the "Visor" type cover to include the A2. The M19 Cupola sight housing was different in that it used an external hinge. Sometimes the spring for the mechanism would get stretched or broken so crews would take a BII/OVM strap or similar and wrap it around the housing to keep the cover shut during transport. Here's a picture showing both on an M60.

Sight Housings

This one suffers from the "stretched spring" ailment.

#11: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:14 am
    ----
Joe or Chuck...

Can either of you show me a pic or two of the GPS thingy if it's not too much trouble (bein's I've never seen one outside of on/in the dash of a car)?

Thanks!
D.

#12: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:16 am
    ----
Doug,

Here's a "GPS thingy" in a Humvee Razz

"GPS Thingy"

#13: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:24 am
    ----
- Joe_D
Doug,

Here's a "GPS thingy" in a Humvee Razz

"GPS Thingy"

Thanks, Joe. Mild compared to the interior decor' of "Head Shoppe", but still nicer than the last Garmin I looked at.

I sorta' was hoping for whatever the outside receiver/housing looked like in an M60 variant application.

#14: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:51 am
    ----
Doug,

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same things. My GPS is the old school one: Gunner's Primary Sight. I don't remember the model number of the damn thing, I just know it's the big Mother periscope thing that stuck up through the roof of the turret. The secondary sight was called "The Telescope", although I think the books called it a Ballistic Telescopic Sight or somesuch.

I'm not aware of any M60-series tank that mounted a GPS: Global Postioning System antenna, but I could be wrong.

Chuck

#15: Re: Looking for photos: sight 'doghouses' M60's Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:37 am
    ----
- C_Sherman
Doug,

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same things. My GPS is the old school one: Gunner's Primary Sight. I don't remember the model number of the damn thing, I just know it's the big Mother periscope thing that stuck up through the roof of the turret. The secondary sight was called "The Telescope", although I think the books called it a Ballistic Telescopic Sight or somesuch.

I'm not aware of any M60-series tank that mounted a GPS: Global Postioning System antenna, but I could be wrong.

Chuck

Chuck,
I got it now....I read your post further up in this thread and interpreted your abbreviation for Gunner's Primary Sight as referring to that "other" GPS. We didn't use that particular acronym in my day that I recall, so the confusion is mine. Duh. Rolling Eyes

Thanks!
D.

-> AFV News Discussion Board