HBO the Pacific
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: HBO the Pacific Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:06 am
    ----
I didnt see any previous posts in re: Pacific series.
What is the scuttle butt on the tracks used in the series? I dont recall them saying much about it in the "how it was made" previews. Figured I would try to get it here first.
The jap tank a vismod (based on what?)? I notice the "OD" looks very "green" on the their trucks and jeeps.
SR

#2: Re: HBO the Pacific Author: ddoyle PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:52 am
    ----
I've not seen the series - but I'd offer that most USMC vehicles would be "Marine Corps Green" rather than OD.

Regards,
David Doyle

#3: Re: HBO the Pacific Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:01 am
    ----
I thought the Japanese tank moved awful quickly in last week's episode...

But I suppose that could be racked up to artistic license based on exaggerated memory...

Neil

#4: Re: HBO the Pacific Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:29 am
    ----
I can post stills from the "Peleilu" episode if anyone is interested?

A great series "The Pacific", right up there with "Band of Brothers", "Letters from Iwo Jima" and "Flags of our Fathers", even up a notch when it comes to battle scenes.

/Rik

#5: Re: HBO the Pacific Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:17 pm
    ----
The bulk of the miniseries was filmed in Austrailia. I don't know how many Amtracks are running (I thought only a couple) but they had at least one for the filming plus others that were mock ups and a bunch added via CGI. There was at least one Sherman in the Peleliu episode. There were at least two Japanese light tanks shown - likely mock ups, but I don't know what chassis was used. The Guadalcanal episodes had a halftrack (M3) running in a couple scenes.

#6: Re: HBO the Pacific Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:03 pm
    ----
Yes, Rik, please post the stills.

I noticed that the Jap tanks were pretty quick too, figured maybe they were Toyotas and were experiencing some issues with the accelerator pedals...
As you Neil, I figured they were CG/partial CG and that being artist creations they had them zipping around like they were.
I thought someone on here had within the past year or so posted a topic of a restored Jap tank ??? Thought maybe that vehicle had played a role in the series.

I am looking forward to the rest of the series.

SR

#7: Re: HBO the Pacific Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:10 am
    ----
Will post stills from both the aired Peleilu episodes later today, any special requests?

#8: Re: HBO the Pacific Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:16 am
    ----
First 5:

#9: Re: HBO the Pacific Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:28 am
    ----
Last five for this post, I'll open up another thread for the rest.

-> AFV News Discussion Board