M1917 at Aberdeen
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M1917 at Aberdeen Author: ddoyle PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:13 pm
    ----
There was, at one time, a M1917 prototype displayed inside the Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen, Maryland. Does anyone have first hand knowledge whether or not it is still there on display, or if not, where it is currently located?

Thanks,
David Doyle

#2: Re: M1917 at Aberdeen Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:04 pm
    ----
David,
Do you mean recently (last few years), or further back?

Most recently, the “First US Sample Tank,” made from mild steel was on display inside the museum.

www.flickr.com/photos/...137773831/

The tank was previously on loan from the Smithsonian Institution to the Air-Ground Museum/National Museum of the U.S. Marine Corps at Quantico.

But there is also an FT-17 with an M1917 turret (“K-K-K-Katy” - The first FT-17 sent by France to the United States to serve as the basis for M1917 licensed production) that is in storage in the museum warehouse. www.com-central.net/me...n__32_.jpg

Neil

#3: Re: M1917 at Aberdeen Author: ddoyle PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:26 pm
    ----
Neil,
I had in mind the first US Sample Tank, but K-K-K-Katy would be of interest as well.

So....is the "first US Sample tank" still there?

And, I seem to recall that Ed Heasley is "the guy" at the Ordnance Museum now, is that correct?

Thanks,
David

#4: Re: M1917 at Aberdeen Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:00 pm
    ----
Bob can answer better than I can - I havent been able to get up there since last May, and the M1917 wasnt on display yet (it went on display sometime after).

You are correct.

Neil

#5: Re: M1917 at Aberdeen Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:05 pm
    ----
The first Sample tank is still on display in the Museum, K-K-K-Katy is in the warehouse. (Saw both of them yesterday) Ed is still the Curator of the collection. They do have a new director whom I have not had a chance to meet yet.

#6: Re: M1917 at Aberdeen Author: ddoyle PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:10 pm
    ----
Thank you very much!

-> AFV News Discussion Board