T23 radio control
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T23 radio control Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:30 pm
    ----
Anyone have any pictures that show what the T23 medium tank remote controllers looked like? Hunnicutt (Pershing, pages 81-82) refers to them, but as far as I can find doesnt show them - and I cant find any pictures or illustrations anywhere else.

Maybe in the Patton Museum archives you have been digging through Don? Or a T23 manual if one exists?

I have a theory that the odd cable coming out of the MG port on this T23 is the remains of the remote controller system...

smg.photobucket.com/al...2_0134.jpg

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sun May 23, 2010 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: T23 tank remote controllers? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:05 pm
    ----
Actually, I do have this photo - which appears to support my theory - but I still dont know what the controller looks like under the cover...

Neil

#3: Re: T23 tank remote controllers? Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:05 pm
    ----
Neil, the device in your second photo is for radio control, not for "walk-along", tethered control. I got the impression that the walk-along system was easy to connect (did not require removing bow MG), like the systems LeTourneau used.

KL

#4: Re: T23 radio control Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:28 pm
    ----
Neil I am pretty sure there is a picture of the wired remote control for the T23 in Hunnicutt. I'll have to see if I can find it.

I have my own theory about the tubing coming out of the bow MG opening on the T23 in your picture. The mantlet on that vehicle has been replaced with a clear panel (plexiglas?). I think that T23 survived as a protected observation post on the ranges at Aberdeen. I figured that the armored cable was either for communications and/or power for cameras and instrumentation.

Why do topics like this come up just after I've been at Aberdeen. I could have looked at the chassis and seen if there are any cable remnants in the flexible conduit when we were up there Saturday Sad

#5: Re: T23 radio control Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:45 am
    ----
I looked at the cable on Saturday, though I didnt take any pictures. I think the cable is a bit older than the glass in the turret, looks like a 1940s era heavy duty DC power cable (though admittedly I am not an expert on such things) - with the associated 60+ years of rust.

Neil

#6: Re: T23 radio control Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:11 am
    ----
Our T23 has gone thru a rebuild and the BOW machine gun is properly mounted, so I'm clueless on the mods that the APG T23 has. Bob does make a good point.

I haven't looked into the T23, so I'm not sure if anything exists. On my next Library 'lurking' visit, I'll see what I can dig up.

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board