M48A3 Question
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#61: Re: M48A3 Question Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:16 pm
    ----
That plaque should give you a pretty good idea how hard it is to find an M48A3 when Fort Knox passes off an A2 as one. This was done before they got their very nice A3 BTW.

Would be REAL nice if they took this plaque to Benning, restored the A3 on Patton Range, and then displayed her outside the new museum when it opens (Sorry Don).

Jim,

The Chrysler M67A2 with 3 support rollers (made from M67A1) can be differentiated from an M67A1 easiest by the side mounted air cleaner boxes. The M48A2/M67A1's are located in the crew compartment against the bulkhead between the engine compartment and turret basket.
Pictures from TM 9-7022
Crew compartment side
Engine compartment side

That image of the M48A3 with mine roller looks like it was taken in Vietnam. If it was that system was known as the ENSURE 202, based on the Birmingham model which predated it. Mr. Hunnicutt covers it pretty good in "Patton".

#62: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:31 pm
    ----
Thanks Joe!

There seems to have been at least four different models of the Birmingham of which two were called ensure... I suspect they were the versions adopted for service.

#63: Re: M48A3 Question Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:42 pm
    ----
WHAT !!!

"Would be REAL nice if they took this plaque to Benning, restored the A3 on Patton Range, and then displayed her outside the new museum when it opens."

TRAITOR !!..... QUIZLING!! (HA HA HA)

Regards
Don

#64: Re: M48A3 Question Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:56 pm
    ----
- A-109E
Meanwhile, these two photos go with the previous M48 one and were taken at the same time.

Thanks Bob - added. I appreciate the plaque closeup as I hadn't taken a photograph of it myself. I've used it to add the full text describing the original Sue's heroics.

Unique ID 1218: Stithton M48

#65: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:37 am
    ----
- A-109E

I have 112 images out of the 265 I had taken that day uploaded to Photobucket. I can give you access to that album if you wish, or I can burn you a photo CD of the entire batch.

--Bob

I wouldn't mind access!

#66: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:49 am
    ----
- JimWeb
There seems to have been at least four different models of the Birmingham of which two were called ensure... I suspect they were the versions adopted for service.

More than four versions - there seems to have been at least seven. I'm working on sorting them out at the moment.

#67: Re: M48A3 Question Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:07 am
    ----
Did some running around on post today. Here is the M48A3 in the Museum

AND here is the Stithton Circle M48A2C

I did take some of the rest of the Stithton Circle Vehicles. I'll post them if interested.....

Also took some of the 2 M48A2C's at Chaffee Road, but for some reason they didn't turn out. I'll hit post again tomorrow, if anyone has any requests of anything, let me know.

Regards
Don

#68: Re: M48A3 Question Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:28 am
    ----
- Dontos
Did some running around on post today. Here is the M48A3 in the Museum

[IMG

I did take some of the rest of the Stithton Circle Vehicles. I'll post them if interested.....

Don

Yes, please!

D.

#69: Re: M48A3 Question Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:45 am
    ----
M41 at Stithton Circle:

The M47 that is also at Stithton Circle:

Happy now?
Regards
Don

#70: Re: M48A3 Question Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:52 am
    ----
- Dontos
M41 at Stithton Circle:

Happy now?
Regards
Don

Happy, yes. Satisfied, no. You've got at least one more to go. And more of the M48 would be nice.

You also just got your own folder in my image files so I don't pull another brain phart like I did with A-109E's pic. Laughing

#71: Re: M48A3 Question Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:20 am
    ----
They're great pics, Don! I'll add them to the others as soon as I can.

#72: Re: M48A3 Question Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:09 pm
    ----
Heres a shot of the Traffic Circle, showing all three tanks. This is as of 5 Jume 2010.

Whatever remains after all the moves, will be an update I guess I'll have to keep up with.

Regards
Don

#73: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:50 pm
    ----
Okay Guys - I need some large images of the suspension sides of an M48 and each suspension unit preferably with some indication of measurement in it.

Whoever gets to provide this will receive a 1/16 scale M48 as a reward when they are ready.. You'll have to assemble it yourself and you might consider adding an annex to your house to store it

PS I finally solved the barrel weight problem with the Ontos model by making the mounting arms from brass so the despatch date for these will now be mid-november. Sorry but they are all reserved.

#74: Re: M48A3 Question Author: binder001 PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:44 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
Whoever gets to provide this will receive a 1/16 scale M48 as a reward when they are ready.. You'll have to assemble it yourself and you might consider adding an annex to your house to store it

Actually, a 1/16th M48 shouldn't be that bad. I have the 1/18th M48A3 from 21st Century Toys and it still fits a shelf. It does take a good chunk of that shelf though!

Gary

#75: Re: M48A3 Question Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:57 pm
    ----
Hey, you guys are amateurs. (grin)

How about a 1/6 scale M5A1 Stuart?

Now we're talkin' space!

-> AFV News Discussion Board