calling FT-17 gurus
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: calling FT-17 gurus Author: ddoyle PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:20 am
    ----
Greetings all,
I am trying to get up to speed on the FT-17. It appears that there were three types of turrets used on these tanks (NOT including the M1917), in this order:

a cast turret
b hexagonal turret - as on the example at Fort Meade.
C turret fabricated from riveted rolled armor (aka Berliet turret) such as on the examples at Saumur, and the vehicle at Knox which was recovered from Afghanastan.

It appears that the tank at Bovington is the only survivor with a cast turret, although a turret alone exists at Fort de Seclin.

Do I have this right, and if any other examples of the cast turret are known.

Thanks,
David Doyle

#2: Re: calling FT-17 gurus Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:48 am
    ----
personnaly, I don't know any other example of this kind of turret. However, who knows which treasures are still hidden in some collections..

P-O

#3: Re: calling FT-17 gurus Author: Manu-MilitaryLocation: Right in the heart of the Chambois pocket PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:49 pm
    ----
Bruxelles armor museum has got a Renault FT with a cast turret and 37mm gun.
Overloon in the Netherlands do also have the same tank with what appears to be a prototype cast turret.
For what it's worth...

#4: Re: calling FT-17 gurus Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:41 pm
    ----
- Manu-Military
Bruxelles armor museum has got a Renault FT with a cast turret and 37mm gun.
Overloon in the Netherlands do also have the same tank with what appears to be a prototype cast turret.
For what it's worth...

These two tanks carry the turrets described by David Doyle as being "turrets fabricated from riveted rolled armor". These don't have the rare 1st model of cast turret, infortunately.

Pierre-Olivier

#5: Re: calling FT-17 gurus Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:04 am
    ----
Here's the one in K.C. at the Liberty Memorial

Since you're coming this way in July, maybe you can spend some time with it.

Gary

#6: Re: calling FT-17 gurus Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:08 am
    ----
AS far as I can figure out there were the

Berliert (original cast) turret with sharply sloping top.
Berliert (Rounded rolled plate with offset doors)
Omnibus (Hexagonal) turret turret with doors offset to left.
Omnibus (Hexagonal) turret turret with doors offset to right.
Girod [Rounded rolled plate)

and then there was that turret produced with the M1923 rebuilds which had the 37mm & MG in different faces of the turret....

#7: Re: calling FT-17 gurus Author: ddoyle PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:02 pm
    ----
Thanks for the input Jim.

Regards,
David

-> AFV News Discussion Board