For Kibbey, Helos & Armor
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: For Kibbey, Helos & Armor Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:22 pm
    ----
Going through a new crop of pics on the Lighthorse website and thought you guys might like these.

Greyhounds loading ARVNs 1967

Greyhounds

Fire Support Base

#2: Re: For Kibbey, Helos & Armor Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:13 pm
    ----
Many thanks, Richard!

Interesting how the ARVN's are all wearing distinctive scarves to identify themselves.

Enemy did a lot of that sort of thing, to avoid confusion between units.

#3: Re: For Kibbey, Helos & Armor Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:36 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Interesting how the ARVN's are all wearing distinctive scarves to identify themselves.

Enemy did a lot of that sort of thing, to avoid confusion between units.

Glad you brought that up. I was wondering about what appeared to be yellow Cav scarves. Thought only the pilots and crew cheifs/gunners wore them.

#4: Re: For Kibbey, Helos & Armor Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:46 pm
    ----
Those top two pics are taken from almost the same point, some moments apart, judging by the treeline, vehicle position, and cloud cover that rolled in (or out, depending on which pic was taken first).

Possibly a two platoon lift or larger.

#5: Re: For Kibbey, Helos & Armor Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:49 pm
    ----
I see Rome Plows off in the left background. Firebase (and it likely is since I see tents in other shot) may be a recent build. Maybe temporary/rudimentary like an artillery raid to support this operation.

- JG300-fr8ycat

Greyhounds

#6: Re: For Kibbey, Helos & Armor Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:30 am
    ----
Hi Doug

I have a question, if you know great, if not no biggie, what is the purpose and significance of the white rhomboib markings on the nearest huey?

#7: Re: For Kibbey, Helos & Armor Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:54 am
    ----
- piney
Hi Doug

I have a question, if you know great, if not no biggie, what is the purpose and significance of the white rhomboib markings on the nearest huey?

Richard may know more specifically at what level, but those would most likely be distinctive unit markings. Most units had some visual identifier even down to company/troop level that was readily visible and these took a variety of patterns.

For example, 2/17th Air Cav had bands around the tail booms in either black, red, white or blue for HQ flight platoon, A,B,and C Troops.

#8: Re: For Kibbey, Helos & Armor Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:40 pm
    ----
Thanks, hadn't noticed them before and was just wondering

#9: Re: For Kibbey, Helos & Armor Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:41 pm
    ----
- piney
Thanks, hadn't noticed them before and was just wondering

Have a look at this page, next to last bottom row of pictures, center picture.

www.vhpamuseum.org/9th...roop.shtml

A/1/9 Cav tac marking. Notice a cobra a row or two up has a yellow circle rather than yellow delta. Examples of the same thing. Important for identification among friendlies when multiple units are operating, flying formation, etc.

#10: Re: For Kibbey, Helos & Armor Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:44 pm
    ----
Had to look up the "Greyhounds" since I've never heard of them before. As Kibbey said looks like their unit marking

It appears they were at Bear Cat the same time as 3/5 and both supported the 9th ID so having a distinguishing marking would make sense so you knew you were following the right group. Many D/3/5 Hueys had Cav stripes on the Horizontal stabs (and roofs) but I was told they were"Artistic" additions.

#11: Re: For Kibbey, Helos & Armor Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:33 pm
    ----
speaking from a reference/history/ modelling viewpoint, has anyone cataloged these markings for posterity? If not they probably should be before memories fade, just a thought

#12: Re: For Kibbey, Helos & Armor Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:54 pm
    ----
- piney
speaking from a reference/history/ modelling viewpoint, has anyone cataloged these markings for posterity? If not they probably should be before memories fade, just a thought

Piney,
Well, there would be a LOT of them, since tac markings could be found down to Co. level at least (not all units or aircraft types carried them). Many of the detail books like Squadron, Osprey, etc. note them where they have clear pics and background info. Many of the units that have websites do as well. A good place to start, if you're looking for a project, is here:

www.vhpamuseum.org/def...menu.shtml

Drop down menus at left, and in the case of units, there are a lot of them. Not always with pics of unit birds, but often with links to last known website. "Google" is your friend for that as well, and you have to be creative with search terms where unit designators are involved.
Good hunting!

-> AFV News Discussion Board