M3 Stuart in Switzerland
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M3 Stuart in Switzerland Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:44 am
    ----
A full set of pictures is available here:
www.flickr.com/photos/...241461551/

The tank belongs to a private collection in Winthertur (Switzerland).
Pictures were taken in June 25th 2009 at Armeetreff Ostschweiz, Kradolf, Switzerland:
www.armeetreff-ostschweiz.ch/

This Stuart was recovered in Brasil, it was very rusty, but the gasoline engine was still running. It arrived in Switzerland in 2007. The s/n is 712.

I remember reading an interview to a dealer that have fund a bunch of M3s in Brasil, looks like this could be one of them.

Am I wrong or that kind of commander cupola isn't very common?

Massimo

#2: Re: M3 Stuart in Switzerland Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 am
    ----
I've spent quite a bit of time in Brasil and can verify that there is one individual there who did own quite a collection of unrestored Stuarts (and other vehicles) from the WWII period when we supplied them. As I understood it, the resources to make restoration was very limited as was the ability to transfer them to such places as could undertake the necessary work. Brasil being Brasil, it would have a lot to to with who's palms you could grease in order to acquire one.

#3: Re: M3 Stuart in Switzerland Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:31 pm
    ----
Here is the article I was talking about, I can confirm the tank was one of them:
www.militarytrader.com...iscovered/

Massimo

#4: Re: M3 Stuart in Switzerland Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:05 am
    ----
That cupola is common for the welded "horseshoe" turret.

#5: Re: M3 Stuart in Switzerland Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:31 am
    ----
Good to see you still around, Shawn. Wink

#6: Re: M3 Stuart in Switzerland Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:59 pm
    ----
I am still out here. Well, may be more than you would like to know...

First, you are doing well? You have made your millions and are cruising the Mediterrean?

Recently, 18th and 19th century history has taken up more of my time than afv's. I have been busy and havent been able to complete much of anything. I have tanks and figures on the work tables, art on the board, paintings on the easel, and I havent accomplished what I would like. And have been tossing around the idea of a "memoirs" for a certain vet and his company-- of course I would like to be the illustrator/writer/editor. I have a couple of acquitances who have been bouncing around a comic book idea, which doesnt appeal to me necessarily.

Reading, researching, drawing and painting... with more of the reading and researching being accomplished. Well, you know my pop, he asked me when I was going to finish the M48 that has been sitting on one of the work tables. I still have to finish the M42... yeah, I have about 10 or 12 'Nam tracks in progress... time or material for me, time over material.

I would like to head down to the Waco event... I havent done anything "living history" related in a year or two. Who else is going to be there? Dad wanted to go, but he isnt the one driving or paying the expense...

I see you guys were looking to buy an M4, did y'all get it?

-> AFV News Discussion Board