Royal Air Force Gecko
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Royal Air Force Gecko Author: timrobertsLocation: shrewsbury UK PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:00 pm
    ----
Dear All
I thought someone might like to see these pictures of one of 3 Geckos used by the RAF for training purposes.

s7.photobucket.com/alb...rd%202010/

This one is a runner, but the radars etc aren't operational, according to the airmen stood by it there are another 2 fully operational ones, and also an (some) SA6 Gainful.
This one is kept at RAF Cosford, and is used for spares to keep the others operational, it is ex East German.
The airmen told me that the old valve technology used in the radars is much more durable than modern chip technology, I forget why!

Best Wishes
Tim Roberts

#2: Re: Royal Air Force Gecko Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:34 pm
    ----
This may not translate "across the pond," but I must say for some reason I was expecting the Geico Gecko in RAF colors.

Neil

#3: Re: Royal Air Force Gecko Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:26 pm
    ----
Neil

That was funny,..... I happen to be watching TV as I was reading the above post and guess what commercial came on...

I sat there, trying to picture the Geico Gecko wearing RAF camo clothing..... HA HA HA

Don

#4: Re: Royal Air Force Gecko Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:21 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
This may not translate "across the pond," but I must say for some reason I was expecting the Geico Gecko in RAF colors.

Neil

For the culturally deprived....

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=channel

#5: Re: Royal Air Force Gecko Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:23 am
    ----
An couple of years ago there was an article about an military army exercise in the UK, I think it was Military Machines international

The army had invited people along with their privately owned former Eastern-Europe / Russian vehicle's to act as enemy forces

From what I could understand from the article was that the amateur enemy forces where much tougher to crack then the regular army expected

And the professionals, with modern equipment, where just "fighting" an group of amateurs with old equipment Wink

Michel

#6: Re: Royal Air Force Gecko Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:04 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

I love the Geico 'Therapist Sarge' advert...

#7: Re: Royal Air Force Gecko Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:07 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
- Doug_Kibbey
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

I love the Geico 'Therapist Sarge' advert...

"Tissue?" Laughing

-> AFV News Discussion Board