M4 at Groesbeek (NLD)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:58 pm
    ----
It was part of a monument outside the museum but unfortunately it is gone.

The museum is located at N 51 47.127 E005 56.147 (wylerbaan 4)

#2: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:14 pm
    ----
I didn't know that they took away the Sherman.
Any idea whereto ?
This are some pics from 2007.

Last edited by Walter on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:15 pm
    ----

#4: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:56 pm
    ----
I found the Grizzly

it has been removed from the museum to get an (cosmetic) restoration job in York, UK

There is an article about it in the "Gederlander" (dutch only)

www.gelderlander.nl/vo...geland.ece

It should return half september

Michel

#5: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:05 pm
    ----
It is good news that is returns, bad news is that I've to return to make a picture for myself....

#6: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:20 pm
    ----
Good thing I know it before my holiday (only 18 day's working left), then I don't have to go there for photo's of something that is not there Wink

Pitty it returns after my holiday Rolling Eyes

#7: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:08 pm
    ----
Google translated page:

Sherman tank in revision in England

hursday, May 20, 2010 | 6:36 | Last updated: Thursday, May 20, 2010 | 8:41

GROESBEEK - The Sherman who has been acting as a focal point of the Groesbeek Liberation Museum Wednesday lifted its place. The 30-ton monster is a flatbed trailer and transported to Rotterdam in the evening aboard a ship bound for York, raised in central England. There sits the company TEI that the tank in the coming months will give a huge facelift.

Nijmegen (witnesses?) who have lived through the war showed him still as their liberator. Robin Hood, is his nickname. On September 20, 1944 rattled the first Sherman tank on the Nijmegen Waal Bridge, the city was finally liberated.

Thanks to the Sherwood Rangers Association. For the veterans of this former British tank units have ensured that the 30,000 euro facelift input entirely paid by TEI, a company in the UK market leader in the field of energy and petrochemical industries.

#8: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:42 pm
    ----
Since last Friday the Sherman is back
I was there today and they told me that the next object for restoration is the PAK 40 wich is also outside.

#9: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:36 pm
    ----
Hi,

Looks like they did a really nice job, at least from a distance!

Chuck

#10: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:08 pm
    ----
Here is an article in English
news.bbc.co.uk/local/b...983724.stm

#11: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:31 am
    ----
- Walter

More made up history!

#12: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:29 pm
    ----
- tankbarrell
- Walter

More made up history!

Explain yourself !

#13: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:51 pm
    ----
This Grizzly came from the British tank museum and was exchanged for an Dutch converted RAM ETT

The Canadian Grizzly tank never took part in the fighting of WW2

Does some one know if the markings are correct Confused
All I could find so far is that the wild boar head (??) is correct and that the number should start with 99x

However, also from what I could find, the red square with the white 52 and the number 996 are not correct

The number should be 994 for the 24th Lancers "Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry" and the number should be at the location where the 52 is located now

Michel

#14: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:33 am
    ----
- Walter
- tankbarrell
- Walter

More made up history!

Explain yourself !

Well, as Michel points out, this tank is a Grizzly and is not a left over from the battles there. It is certainly not an original Sherwood Rangers tank so the article is making up history.

#15: Re: M4 at Groesbeek (NLD) Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:40 am
    ----
Ok thanks for explaining. I didn't know that.
I guess there are more museums wich put a tank in their collection and want to make believe it fought in the area.

Walter

-> AFV News Discussion Board