M36 Tank Destroyer
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: M36 Tank Destroyer Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:36 pm
    ----
thanks for the info!

#17: Re: M36 Tank Destroyer Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:45 pm
    ----
- binder001
Trivia question - is there any way to tell if these ex-Yugoslavian vehices are M36s or M36B2s? With the changes in the engine and rear plate it seems impossible to tell but I thought I'd get other opinions.

Looking at Dontos picture of the rear you can clearly see the place where the exhaust of the Ford GAA engine was, also the bracket where the deflector was connected is still in place.

Michel

#18: Re: M36 Tank Destroyer Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:01 pm
    ----
- Tichenor
- binder001
Trivia question - is there any way to tell if these ex-Yugoslavian vehices are M36s or M36B2s? With the changes in the engine and rear plate it seems impossible to tell but I thought I'd get other opinions.

Looking at Dontos picture of the rear you can clearly see the place where the exhaust of the Ford GAA engine was, also the bracket where the deflector was connected is still in place.

Michel

do you think it is enough to be sure it is an M36 and not an M36B2?

Pierre-Olivier

#19: Re: M36 Tank Destroyer Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:03 pm
    ----
If you check the rear tow lugs they should have a S/N stamping as well.

If it was made from an M10 (i.e., M36B2) it would/should have a build number in the lower front corner of the upper hull side plate on the driver's side.

(See a similar marking in the same location on an M4A2 at P-O's wonderful site: the.shadock.free.fr/Ta...age17.html )

All M10s (and notably in this case some 40% of M10A1s) were built by Fisher, and stamping the build number (with a letter prefix) was a common Fisher marking.

KL

#20: Re: M36 Tank Destroyer Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:22 pm
    ----
Kurt

There was no sign of any stampings on the rear tow lugs. I cleaned the lugs down to steel to try and find anything. Nothing.

The stampings I found were on the Radio operator side of the front plate beside the modified head light bracket. I didn't find anything on the drivers side exterior armor plates. The many layers of paint are probably hindering those, but I'll see about trying to find them on fututre RMP visits.

Regards
Don

#21: Re: M36 Tank Destroyer Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:46 am
    ----
- the shadock
do you think it is enough to be sure it is an M36 and not an M36B2

If I'm correct the M36 used the hull of a M10A1 with the Ford GAA engine. The lower backplate (or how should I call this part) has the exhaust placed halfway on both sides of the door.
The M36B2 used the hull of the M10 with the twin diesel, witch has the exhaust higher almost on top of the plate.
So I would say its enough to identify the type looking at the exhaust.

Michel

#22: Re: M36 Tank Destroyer Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:10 pm
    ----
Hopefully this additional shot can help.

This is the Left rear view of the back side of the M36

Regards
Don

#23: Re: M36 Tank Destroyer Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:04 pm
    ----
Today I was standing on the back deck of the M36 to photo other tanks. I happen to notice this, not sure how I missed it when I was taking all the photos of the M36.

Regards
Don

#24: Re: M36 Tank Destroyer Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:04 am
    ----
Hi,

That is the serial off of the gun tube itself...which is probably obvious. The "Wvt. Ars." stands for Watervliet Arsenal, where most of the US tank gun tubes since WWII were made.

(Not sure, but I'm pretty sure that pretty much every US gun tube, artillery, tank and mortar, comes from Watervliet.)

C

#25: Re: M36 Tank Destroyer Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:51 pm
    ----
- C_Sherman

(Not sure, but I'm pretty sure that pretty much every US gun tube, artillery, tank and mortar, comes from Watervliet.)

Nowadays probably yes, but in WW II there were a number of contractors as you might expect.

KL

-> AFV News Discussion Board