Thai Type 69s dumped in sea
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Thai Type 69s dumped in sea Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:10 pm
    ----
www.spitsnieuws.nl/arc...dumpt.html

25 Type 69s are dumped into the Gulf of Thailand to serve as artificial reef. According to the article the army run out of spare parts for them.

IIRC the Thais had more than 25 Type 69s?

#2: Re: Thai Type 69s dumped in sea Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:56 pm
    ----
I know that armies don't want to keep obsolete tanks on their inventories and I know that it is beneficial for marine life, but there is something about dumping old tanks in the ocean that is so . . . ignoble. Crying or Very sad

Garry

#3: Re: Thai Type 69s dumped in sea Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:29 pm
    ----
- Garry_Redmon
I know that armies don't want to keep obsolete tanks on their inventories and I know that it is beneficial for marine life, but there is something about dumping old tanks in the ocean that is so . . . ignoble. Crying or Very sad

Garry

Especially when there are so many deserving enthusiasts out here willing to give them a good home.

I'm particularly miffed now that I actually have a good place to put one. Sad

#4: Re: Thai Type 69s dumped in sea Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:24 pm
    ----
Next year I'am planning to go to Thailand for several weeks, anyone has some contacts or adresses to contact for getting permission to taken photographs?

Also locations of preserved tanks and other wrecks and relics are welcome!

#5: Re: Thai Type 69s dumped in sea Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:41 am
    ----
Thailand's supplied a number of Spitfires for restoration projects over the years.
There's The Royal Thai Airforce Museum, 171 Paholyothin Road, Don Muang, Bangkok.
World War 2 museum (JEATH War Museum), Kwai River, Kanchanaburi. Old Japanese locomotive on display, plus other interesting bits.

-> AFV News Discussion Board