Interesting Images from the Archives
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Interesting Images from the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:44 pm
    ----
I've been doing some digging thru the National Archives online and have been finding some interesting AFV related items.

I figured some of y'all might be interested:

A 1919 photo of LTC Eisenhower:

President Truman with the T41 (prototype M41):

A decoy M41 ?:

A 1941 'lend-lease' tank being processed upon arrival in England.:

An poster that made me laugh:

Regards
Don

#2: Re: Interesting Images from the Archives Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:47 am
    ----
- Dontos

A 1941 'lend-lease' tank being processed upon arrival in England.:

That's a pretty rare picture, since I thought we never used the M2, so I looked it up in Chamberlain & Ellis:

"A small batch of M2A4s were delivered to the British in 1941, but these were used only for training, vehicles of the M3 light tank series being issued to combat battalions."

- Dontos

President Truman with the T41 (prototype M41):

Would that be the exact same vehicle as at APG? If so, I'd love to add it's photo to the existing entry:

Unique ID 714: APG T41

#3: Re: Interesting Images from the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:41 pm
    ----
Trevor

No clue if it is the same, but you are right.

Having early photos of an actual existing vehicle with a VIP does add a neat footnote to that vehicles history.

Regards
Don

#4: Re: Interesting Images from the Archives Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:42 pm
    ----
Any idea what the box welded to front glacis is? Three welds are visible on the near side. Camera, maybe?

Any signs of the ground-off welds on the APG vehicle?

#5: Re: Interesting Images from the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:28 pm
    ----
Good observation there Doug.

I guess Neil or Bob might have photos of their T41 & can confirm or deny the presence of those weld marks or bracket.

I guess it also depends how many pilots were made / tested at APG. I assume the photo was taken at APG.

Regards
Don

#6: Re: Interesting Images from the Archives Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:16 pm
    ----
I believe this could be the tank in question (T41 pilot). The brackets are present, but I cant see any signs of the box...

smg.photobucket.com/al...490%20T41/

Neil

#7: Re: Interesting Images from the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:44 pm
    ----
Just a few comparison observations:

There seems to be similiar cast numbers on the turret, below the side mounted sight housing.

The headlight brackets are different.(Perhaps later modified as the ones on the vehicle now seem to be a low tech 'afterthought')

There is a 'blemish' in the area where the hull center box may have been mounted. Looks like the original was lightly welded w 3 weld marks on the right side. Those could have been ground off when the box was removed.

Regards
Don

#8: Re: Interesting Images from the Archives Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:06 am
    ----
- Dontos
Just a few comparison observations:

There seems to be similiar cast numbers on the turret, below the side mounted sight housing.

The headlight brackets are different.(Perhaps later modified as the ones on the vehicle now seem to be a low tech 'afterthought')

There is a 'blemish' in the area where the hull center box may have been mounted. Looks like the original was lightly welded w 3 weld marks on the right side. Those could have been ground off when the box was removed.

Regards
Don

I think the best bet is to look for removed weld marks, paint permitting. Should at least be six, three to a side. Top and bottom we have no idea.

I also think I see some difference in the rear of the turret, but the archived photo doesn't show as much of that area as I'd like to see to comment further on it.

#9: Re: Interesting Images from the Archives Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:09 am
    ----
That would be a decoy M47. M41s only had 3 return rollers and no tensioning wheel.

-> AFV News Discussion Board