Focus on the M47
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Focus on the M47 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:51 pm
    ----
I spent several hours in RMP on Friday (yesterday).

In the past few weeks, there has been alot of movement within the Motor Pool. Vehicles have been grouped together based on destination. More on that later....

I noticed that the escape hatch was open in the M47 that has been stored in the LST building, and a former foreign service vehicle. I assume the markings indicate that it was a former Belgian Army vehicle.....

I was amazed by the interior. Climbing into the bow gunner escape hatch, I found it is a right hand drive. The drivers compartment is filled with an aux ammo rack. This was new to me, as this is my first M47 experience.

The drivers ontrols are the same as the Prototype Heavy tanks. 'Joy Stick' driven...

More to follow
Regards
Don

#2: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:02 pm
    ----
The breech was up, so I opened it. It is fully functional & lubricated.

All markings & data plates were present and all seemed original US stuff with no Belgian Army markings.

The original vehicle data plate was present, but can't get a decent shot of it since the 'drivers side' ammo rack was obstructing the view.

More to follow
Regards
Don

#3: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:18 pm
    ----
The tank seems to be complete. The sights are still mounted but these ballistic table kind of caught my eye.

Mounted on the right side of the turret, above the gunners position:

Mounted on the left side of the turret, above the loaders position:

Regards
Don

#4: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:47 pm
    ----
Interesting, indeed it looks like a Belgian r/n. could you read the complete number??

Regards,
Lesley

#5: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:51 pm
    ----
You lucky dog!

#6: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:57 pm
    ----
Lesley

I don't seem to have any good clear close up shots of the R/N.

The best I can make out is '538_ _ '.

I'll be back to RMP on Wednesday so I'll check on that and see if I can make out the missing digits.

Regards
Don

#7: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:34 pm
    ----
I saw and photographed a number of M47's at Fort Knox when I visited in 1983, including this one. Oddly, though, it had no registration painted on it then, which I'm at a loss to understand.

#8: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:21 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
I saw and photographed a number of M47's at Fort Knox when I visited in 1983, including this one. Oddly, though, it had no registration painted on it then, which I'm at a loss to understand.

I wonder if that's because it wasn't in US service?

#9: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:41 pm
    ----
I mean that it's the same tank that's in Don's photo, but in 1983 the part that now has a faded registration number appears then to have been blank.

#10: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:31 am
    ----
I seem to remember that it was the Bundeswehr M47s that were rh drive. There were a few imported into the UK for use as range targets.

#11: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:42 pm
    ----
- Dontos

The original vehicle data plate was present, but can't get a decent shot of it since the 'drivers side' ammo rack was obstructing the view.

Try to wipe the grime off with a rag on a stick, then use a mirror on a stick to photo the S/N.

(Something like this one, but I have a larger rectangular one.)

In any case, let us know if the plate and tow lug numbers match.

In the same vein, are there any M41s or M42s accessible? The question of the two numbers on the mod plate is still open.

Thx,
KL

#12: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:55 pm
    ----
Kurt

I'll try you suggestion and see if I get better results

As for the M41's available there are 2 in RMP that I may be able to access.

The duster question I thought was answered with the M42 data plate I found. I'll dig thru my various harddrives to find those photos. Unfortunately the M42 has been shipped to Ft Benning back in Feb, so I can't check it.

I'll see about getting some good photos on the M41's .....after I trace that box in the drivers hole of the T34......ha ha ha

Regards
Don

#13: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:21 pm
    ----
- Dontos

I assume the markings indicate that it was a former Belgian Army vehicle.....

Don, the only marking I'm seeing is a part of the R/N, but with 538.. its exactly in the range for the M47's we had. Normaly a Belgian Army vehicle should have at least a black square with the unit number in the upper corner. A regimental insign is frequently applied.
All markings & data plates were present and all seemed original US stuff with no Belgian Army markings.

We usually don't change the data plates or markings on our vehicles, even the vehicles witch where build here in Belgium have data plates and markings in the original language (lucky we haven't got any russian or chinees vehicles).

tichenor

#14: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:25 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum

If the R/N has been applied after 1983, it shouldn't look like that, we have
a M47 here with the markings on it from the fifties and they look far better than those.
Tichenor

#15: Re: Focus on the M47 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
    ----
Currently there are 4 M47's on Ft Knox. 3 are in RMP and one is at Stithton Traffic Circle.

I did recently locate photos of the 'cut-away' M47, prior to it being cut open. It was on display in the museum for many years. As I recall, 'we' pulled it out of the museum in 2002 or so.

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board