Early mechanization
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Early mechanization Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:57 am
    ----
The bycle is a WW I, unrestored original. The reenactor is dressed as a carabiniere from WW I (kind of military police):

Massimo

#2: Re: Early mechanization Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:14 pm
    ----
Yeah, you gotta' lose the hat if you want to make any headway!

Of course, if the wind is at your back, he might make highway speeds....

This was in the days before "shoot on the move".

#3: Re: Early mechanization Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:58 pm
    ----
The picture without the hat was taken during early day training Wink
A few hours later he was part of a parade inside a military base. He run first, since many were concerned about the bycle's brakes Laughing

#4: Re: Early mechanization Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:31 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
carabiniere from WW I (kind of military police):

Massimo

I once was traveling by train from Milan to Firenze on the Emilia-Romagna stretch and seated across from a Major in the Carabiniere who was some sort of instructor in combat shotgun techniques...had a lot of Franchi literature and assorted cool stuff. Ended up engaging him in discussion about various weapons systems for about an hour in my broken Italian and his broken English, making other passengers in our area visibly nervous, but we had a great time "comparing notes". He got off in Bologna, which was his stop.

#5: Re: Early mechanization Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:34 pm
    ----
Hi,

Had the pleasure of working with the Carabinieri in Bosnia. They were a great group of guys and immensely professional on duty. (Off duty they were inordinately interested in getting female soldiers of all nations, and certain American officers, likkered up.*) They provided our external security when we took visitors and students into Sarajevo for tours and dinners, and I NEVER worried about our safety. Their LT (boss) was a JD, and much smarter and more mature than your average LT...and was a really nice guy, too.

Chuck

*However, I'm pretty sure it wasn't their intent to get MY clothes off...but I still have a taste for Limoncello!

#6: Re: Early mechanization Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:20 pm
    ----
- C_Sherman
Hi,

*However, I'm pretty sure it wasn't their intent to get MY clothes off...but I still have a taste for Limoncello!

A product especially known from area around Napoli and Sorrento, IIRC. Good stuff, but I still prefer Tuscan wines that I can barely afford and of course, decent grappa (which is startlingly like some local, unofficial beverages).

-> AFV News Discussion Board