Update: Cobra King
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Update: Cobra King Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:46 pm
    ----
Its been sometime since the last update so I figured I drop a few photos with some of todays (18 Sept) findings and work results.

While scaling (paint removal) today focusing on the left side hull, I did uncover more factory applied 'chalk' markings. Not really sure what it might symbolizes. Perhaps more assembly line markings.

We've been trying to scale the years of paint off for several months. Its a slow process but progress is being made. Today I focused on the #3 Left side Bogie assembly. This is the damaged assembly, that we have deduced was a replacement to the original assembly. Appearently the donor vehicle was destroyed thus causing the amount of damage to the assembly.

While cleaning the assembly, I did notice that some of the mounting bolt holes are 'warped' or egg shaped. Also that there are some possible spall marks on the back side of the assembly. The following photoo highlights these observations in white.

After scaling and wire bruch 'grinding all the paint & rust, the assembly was lined up with the hull mountings:

The end result is the successful remounting of the #3 Left side Bogie Assembly:

Regards
Don

#2: Re: Update: Cobra King Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:51 pm
    ----
The warping of the holes might be from the use of a rat-tailed file by a repairman because the holes didn't match up.

#3: Re: Update: Cobra King Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:44 am
    ----
- JWB2
The warping of the holes might be from the use of a rat-tailed file by a repairman because the holes didn't match up.

I would doubt that. US production was quite exact. I've fitted many bogies on various hulls, hole alignment has always been very precise.

I suspect the bogie was ripped off a vehicle either by blast or brute force. The bent lower flange is typical of such removal.

#4: Re: Update: Cobra King Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:47 am
    ----
- tankbarrell

I suspect the bogie was ripped off a vehicle either by blast or brute force. The bent lower flange is typical of such removal.

The idea of this being a replacement assembly is just one possible explaination. But since this is also the assembly that had the 'reverse' mounted track 'skid' & support roller, the idea seems to fit the physical evidence.

Regards
Don

#5: Re: Update: Cobra King Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:21 pm
    ----
For all those interested in stamped SN locations, here are a few photos from yesterdays work on Cobra King.

Regards
Don

#6: Re: Update: Cobra King Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:37 pm
    ----
On the sprocket it's noteworthy that you can see the hardened region of the teeth, and how it has weatherd differently than the majority of the plate.

On the hub, C77545 is the PN. E1353 is probably the serial.

KL

#7: Re: Update: Cobra King Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:22 pm
    ----
Kurt

I too thought the teeth of the sprocket was pretty cool. After all that is the highest degree of stress on the sprocket.

The other matter is the appearent difference in the #2 & #3 assemblys as they are stamped. Perhaps a case of looking too deep, but it seems the #1 & #2 are marked identical although the stamped numbers are slightly different. The #3 is totally different, as if from a different production line, and off a different tank, all together.

Once I get around to the right side, perhaps this trend will continue and give a certain amount of evidence to my developing theory.....or not.

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board