Panther II
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: Panther II Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:36 am
    ----
- kettenkrad
Interesting King Tiger Start-up using crank

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

YouTube

From the whine, that is clearly an inertial starter such as found on many period aircraft. In this case, they are winding up a flywheel by hand (rather than electrically) until it has stored enough energy to engage a clutch which is what the guy does at the end. This then turns the engine enough to fire. If it doesn't, rinse and repeat.

#47: Re: Panther II Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:38 am
    ----
'Yup, that be the process' It's not an easy crank either, especially having to increase the speed, the resistance seems to remain a constant.

I believe the problem with 'our' Panzer III was the electric starter is nonfunctional.

Regards
Don

#48: Re: Panther II Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:52 am
    ----
- Dontos
'Yup, that be the process' It's not an easy crank either, especially having to increase the speed, the resistance seems to remain a constant.

I believe the problem with 'our' Panzer III was the electric starter is nonfunctional.

Regards
Don

Yep, you're just accelerating the starter flywheel, so the resistance is roughly constant, though the speed with which you need to crank may increase.

I believe the command for this is "Crank harder, Private!", or words to that effect. Laughing

#49: Re: Panther II Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:06 am
    ----
My response to that very same 'request' was quite indecent, but was so out of breath, It only seemed to drool & spit on myself,.....of course, that was on the FOURTH 'rinse & repeat' cycle.....!!

BTW:
Today in a brief RMP visit I happened to locate some interesting items,.....the 'Spare' Panther Engine parts.

These parts went to the Panther 'G', which were removed in the 1973 rebuild of the Panther II.

Regards
Don

#50: Re: Panther II Author: Alf_AdamsLocation: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:28 am
    ----
This thread got me looking back through old photos to find the shots I took when I saw the Panther take part in the July 1977 Living History Show. I thought others might enjoy seeing them. It was quite a thrill for all present to see the Panther drive by and then take part in a brief battle re-enactment.

Alf

#51: Re: Panther II Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:57 am
    ----
Alf

Those are amazing! Thank you for sharing them.

Regards
Don

#52: Re: Panther II Author: binder001 PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:40 pm
    ----
When I used to visit the Patton Museum back in the mid-70s for the Living History exhibits I was able to go over to the motor pool and hear what was at that time the freshly restored Panther II/G hybrid. THe engine was impressive for about 30 sec. it then backfired a dozen times and quit. It couldn't be restarted. That always colored my personal opinion of the mighty Panther tank.

I thought that Phil Cavanaugh and his team had sent all the measurements of the hull to the Panther experts and it was confirmed that the Patton Museum had a Panther II test bed hull.

-> AFV News Discussion Board