Digging thru the Archives
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:39 am
    ----
Here are a few more interesting images

This FT17 is at an APG range in the 1930's. Its SN was 2267. I assume it is gone...

Interesting story board, not sure where this was displayed or if it may still exist...

More to follow
Regards
Don

#17: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:29 am
    ----
Here is an old shot of the T-3 Christie that is at APG

And then there is this 'Thing'....

The nomenclature of this escapes me, perhaps Italian?

A little bit more modern, this M48 has a quite unusual turret stored fuel drum !? I wouldn't want to be on this tank....

Regards
Don

#18: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:37 am
    ----
- Dontos
The nomenclature of this escapes me, perhaps Italian?

Renault UE Chenillette
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...henillette

Massimo

#19: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:49 am
    ----
Massimo

Thank you for the correction.

I guess that makes sense, the photo was in a folder with a 'mixed bag' of armored vehicles some being Renault.

Regards
Don

#20: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:58 am
    ----
Uh Don are you sure that is an M48? The gun looks like a 105 and the cupola looks like one from an M60. I'm also wondering if the drum is something else. Some kind of cooling unit for 1st generation electronics that were being tested?(not enough space inside an M60a0 turret?) At first I was wondering if it was some kind of flamethrower fuel or a minigun type ammo drum

#21: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:08 pm
    ----
Could be,...I am lacking in my M48 to M60 stuff.

I only know about 'modern tanks',.....ha ha ha

Besides I consider 'Joe D' is my reference guide for such knowledge.

I await his observations, and 'report'

Regards
Don

#22: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:32 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Thank you for the correction.

Glad to be of help. I love those pics from the archive, keep them coming please

Massimo

#23: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:43 pm
    ----
What is the caption on the M24 variant (SN, RN)?

Perhaps the M60's bustle cargo is a stored wading trunk?

KL

#24: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:57 pm
    ----
- Dontos

Its the T24E1 Pilot.

#25: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:02 pm
    ----
- Dontos

English Track White Staff Observation Car c1918

#26: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:44 pm
    ----
- Kurt_Laughlin
What is the caption on the M24 variant (SN, RN)?

KL

Kurt

There is only that single image & it is cut off. It is the T24E1 but don't have any other info.

BTW: Here is another M24 test vehicle

Regards
Don

#27: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:25 pm
    ----
[quote="JimWeb"]
- Dontos

English Track White Staff Observation Car c1918

Good god, what a dog's breakfast!
" Lieutenant Colonel Philips Johnson created in 1919 the ‘Roadless Traction Limited’. He made many Track Conversions on Ford tractors but, about 1920, studied and built in his Department of Tank Design and experiment the White Staff Observation Car (picture) with tracks and perplexing cable suspension for the U.S. Army. This company lasted till 1983."

#28: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:26 pm
    ----
Kurt said:

That's what it is. If you look at the odd shape on the end facing you, it corresponds with the loaders hatch opening. This kit sealed the cupola with a waterproof cover and the TC commanded the tank from the "Conning Tower" which was attached to the loaders hatch. Pretty sure this tank is at Knox when the picture was taken. You wouldn't happen to have a larger version I could have, since it's pretty rare to see images of that side of the kit. Surprised Doug hasn't chimed in, since he has much experience with this set up on M60A1's.

Joe

#29: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:12 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Kurt said:

That's what it is. If you look at the odd shape on the end facing you, it corresponds with the loaders hatch opening. This kit sealed the cupola with a waterproof cover and the TC commanded the tank from the "Conning Tower" which was attached to the loaders hatch. Pretty sure this tank is at Knox when the picture was taken. You wouldn't happen to have a larger version I could have, since it's pretty rare to see images of that side of the kit. Surprised Doug hasn't chimed in, since he has much experience with this set up on M60A1's.

Joe

I agree with Joe, it's a deep water fording kit. Notice how you can see the end that mates with the hatch opening. Also, the sections of the tube look like every one kit of this type I've ever seen. Would like a larger version as well, but not because there is any doubt about what it is.

Curiously, this vehicle does not the the "test operation" markings typical of test project activities for this period. I wonder if this was "on duty" as those kits were issued in limited numbers. Perhaps this is an Armor School vehicle...do we have any views where we can see bumper numbers?

...and those stars are just as big as the ones in my AIT class. Wink

BTW, I just love that flip up landau top for the "Thing". Can't have those senior officers getting all misted on. What they planned to do about mud I have no idea...

#30: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:40 pm
    ----
- Dontos

Interesting story board, not sure where this was displayed or if it may still exist...

More to follow
Regards
Don

This stirs a memory. I thought it did still exist somewhere, but I'm probably mixing it up with the one at Fort Meade ('Five of Hearts').

-> AFV News Discussion Board