Digging thru the Archives
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:54 pm
    ----
- Dontos
- Kurt_Laughlin
What is the caption on the M24 variant (SN, RN)?

Perhaps the M60's bustle cargo is a stored wading trunk?

KL

Kurt

There is only that single image & it is cut off. It is the T24E1 but don't have any other info.

BTW: Here is another M24 test vehicle

Regards
Don

Those look like the rack fired rockets used from landing craft for blanket bombardments of beaches

Last edited by piney on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

#32: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:35 pm
    ----
- piney
- Dontos
- Kurt_Laughlin
What is the caption on the M24 variant (SN, RN)?

Perhaps the M60's bustle cargo is a stored wading trunk?

KL

Kurt

There is only that single image & it is cut off. It is the T24E1 but don't have any other info.

BTW: Here is another M24 test vehicle

Regards
Don

Those look like the rack fired rockets used from landind craft for blanket bombardments of beaches

Rockets or some kind of spigot mortars. I think it has some dummies mounted on there.

#33: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:38 pm
    ----
Speaking of M24's....

Here are two different photos of the M24 in the collection, at different time periods.

More weird stuff coming,....
Regards
Don

#34: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:09 pm
    ----
A few more images of the 'Thingie', or a more commonly known...
The English Track White Staff Observation Car c1918:

Regards
Don

#35: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:21 pm
    ----
Hey Doug

Found a photo of your Armor Cav training,..... "BACK IN THE DAY"...

Here we see Pvt Kibby while testing a 'new' 2 man 'NASRV' (No Armor, Scout Recon Vehicle)....ha ha ha

Now thats a 'strapped' low rider...!!

Regards
Don

#36: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:30 pm
    ----
Heres a side view of the above 'contraption'....

Regards
Don

#37: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:51 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Hey Doug

Found a photo of your Armor Cav training,..... "BACK IN THE DAY"...

Here we see Pvt Kibby while testing a 'new' 2 man 'NASRV' (No Armor, Scout Recon Vehicle)....ha ha ha

Now thats a 'strapped' low rider...!!

Regards
Don

Smile

Looks like the Howie Machine Gun Carrier aka belly-flopper.

Didn't there used to be one of these at the Patton Museum?

#38: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:13 am
    ----
Jim,

Here's a picture I took of the one in the National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning Georgia.

"Belly Flopper"

#39: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:13 am
    ----
Must be the same vehicle as only one was built and from scrapyard parts at that!

#40: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:03 pm
    ----
Here are a few more for your viewing pleasure....

From the 'WTF' files (!?)

This I self titled as NTC OPFOR (Circa 1940)....Now THAT is a vismod....

Enjoy
Regards
Don

#41: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:36 pm
    ----
The 8-wheeled creation is the T55 GMC prototype, "Cook's Cozy Cabin"
The first photo has a bad case of "redcrossitits" for me!
But copying the link shows something that I assumed is a minesweeper, but the wheels look too flimsy, so it must be some sort of tractor.

#42: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:34 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Here are a few more for your viewing pleasure....

From the 'WTF' files (!?)

Higgins Swamp Skipper Model 5

#43: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:40 pm
    ----
- Dontos

Cook Brothers Desert Training Vehicle - sometimes known as the Cooks Cozy Cabin ( or one of the variations of it)

#44: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:39 am
    ----
Here are a few additional items:

Rock Island Arsenal in the 1930s:

Combat Car in the 1930s. I love these combat cars, not really sure why:

(Doug, does the background buildings look familiar??)

And this neat side by side of the Jeep test series. 4 wheel, 6 wheel, & 8 wheel versions:

Regards
Don

#45: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:27 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Here are a few additional items:

Combat Car in the 1930s. I love these combat cars, not really sure why:

(Doug, does the background buildings look familiar??)

And this neat side by side of the Jeep test series. 4 wheel, 6 wheel, & 8 wheel versions:

Regards
Don

it sure does. From the angle, I'd say it was taken from what is now the parking lot closest to what is the fire station (formerly the MP corner station).

I have quite a few pics of those combat cars, but none with the open top driver area, I don't think.

Those "jeeps" are M151 series test vehicles. I'm surprised they even evaluated six-and eight-wheel versions, given the already atrocious handling and modest power available.

-> AFV News Discussion Board