First Division Museum Photos
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: First Division Museum Photos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:02 pm
    ----
Hi all,

We've posted a number of photos from the First Division Museum - Cantigny Park, Wheaton, IL, to our new photo site. At the time of our visit, the museum had recently finished repainting the outdoor exhibits.

See them all at:
afvagabond.smugmug.com...8825_iAche

Some enticing samples:

Please let us know what you think of the photos and the site. We're just getting started and are looking forward to posting many more photos.

Cheers!
The VBs

#2: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:50 am
    ----
Hi,

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Did you happen to collect S/N's on any of them?

Chuck

#3: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:32 am
    ----
Hi Chuck,

I didn't do SN grabs as Neil seemed to have all the numbers already listed in the register. I did photograph (but didn't post) the SNs for the M1, M60 and M113 - and they were as listed.

Taken from v3.0 of the register:

M1 Abrams SND685
M5 Stuart SN 644
M24 Chaffee SN 2812
M41A3 Walker Bulldog SN 254
M46 Patton
M47 Patton SN 2313; RN 12J866
M48 Patton SN 2650
M60 Patton SN 280
M113A2 SN F10525
M551A1 Sheridan SN 99
M1917
T26E4 Super Pershing SN 97

Inside Display:

French Schneider Replica
M4A3E8 Sherman Easy Eight RN 454828

#4: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:39 pm
    ----
The photos are very interesting. I was able to go through the museum (definitely worth a visit!) and tour the tanks in the park in 2008. It looks like somebody was busy with the paint brush - I don't remember the "tiger face" scheme in the M46. When I visited everything was just OD green. I also understand that they have received an Abrams. Looks like I better include the museum on a list for a return visit when I get back to the Chicago metro area.

Thanks for the photos

Gary B.

#5: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:35 pm
    ----
Was their in September. The museum is a great visit. Tanks and arty.

Life sized displays for the museum diplays. WW1 trench, Normandy beach with bunker... . Good Stuff. I refer to the small arms now--hard to check S/Ns on the stuff inside the museum.

The Abrams is there now.
The M48 is even painted as "Snoopy", a dozer tank my dad had taken pic of while in country!!! but they had no more relevant info on the vehicle that I hadnt know of already.
SR

#6: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:13 am
    ----
Somebody get up there with a wrench and snug up the track on that T26!

#7: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:23 pm
    ----
Vagabond, I've tried downloading these pictures at original size to put on PreservedTanks.com (as per our PMs) but it won't let me - what do I need to do?

#8: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:46 pm
    ----
Trevor,

PM sent.

All - I set the site up with right-click disabled to protect the images. When one right-clicks, the following message appears:

We're pleased that you like our photos! If you'd like copies please email us at: (Email omitted here). If you’d like to post a link to them for use in a vehicle registry or website, you may do so, but please let us know. Unauthorized use is prohibited.

I wanted at least the illusion of some control over who can download the images! Smile

I figured that anyone on the forum here could contact me via PM regarding use of the images. The galleries won't show up on smugmug searches or Google searches. That way most of the traffic will be coming from this forum.

Anyone that would like to use the images for registries or websites can link to the photos and galleries - just please let us know that you have done so. Contact me through this forum if you need links or help linking.

Thanks,
VB

#9: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:55 pm
    ----
- vagabond

I wanted at least the illusion of some control over who can download the images! Smile

Totally useless protection system that can easily be broken...

#10: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:05 pm
    ----
people that are lazy like to steal photos and not give credit. I like the watermark across the photo, at least they have to work to steal.

#11: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:11 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
people that are lazy like to steal photos and not give credit. I like the watermark across the photo, at least they have to work to steal.

Yeah Its more common with people who like to claim copyright by adding their name onto copyright-free images...

#12: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:22 pm
    ----
in the US you can do anything you want with a image that you copy at the National Archives or other government agencies, as I have said before if someone wants a pic without my name on it all they have to do is ask. if they don't want to ask I suggest they go to the National Archives and copy the pic themselves. Stealing is never considered appropriate.

#13: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:31 pm
    ----
I think you misunderstand me... I was referring to people who come across images on the internet without a copyright on them, copy them and add their own name to the image.

You would be amazed how many images get sent to me like that. ALWAYs put your moniker on an image but preferably not across the center in huge letters - thats just gross

Also you should use a decent graphics program with a copyright embedder like Corel Paint Shop Pro. I (nearly) always add a contributors name to an image I use if they haven't already though it is getting difficult with JEDs albums feature as the images are loaded directly into the albums from the users computer.

#14: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:38 pm
    ----
ok jim maybe we do have a misunderstanding. i think that complaint has been directed towards me in the past about archive photos with my name on them, sorry if I'm wrong

#15: Re: First Division Museum Photos Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:51 pm
    ----
Ok Jim,

I see that you are correct.

For my own information, can you access the original size images too - or just the size of your example?

At least it has the watermark! LOL!

Cheers,
VB

-> AFV News Discussion Board