Gun tube damage
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Gun tube damage Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:33 pm
    ----
Hello guys, Maybe someone can help, what in your opinion would have been used to put this hole in a 12inch gun tube?? I have a idea but would like to have it verified
Thanks

3 Inside view of hole

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Gun tube damage Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm
    ----
What kind of 12" gun, ground or naval?

It doesn't look like a cookoff or obstruction to me, it looks more like a hit (some splatter around the hole). If it's a piece of some ground artillery, might it have taken an direct mortar hit?
Can we be sure of the orientation of the gun? That is, are we looking at the top of the barrel, or might it have been turned?

#3: Re: Gun tube damage Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:58 pm
    ----
Hi Doug, Coast Artillery or ground. does a thermite grenade do that type of damage?? Its been in that position since the end of WWII. Rrumor has it that scrappers did it to break it up. and thanks

#4: Re: Gun tube damage Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:22 pm
    ----
Thermite is definitely an approved and effective method for spiking a gun, but as I've never done it....

That does sound plausible.

#5: Re: Gun tube damage Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:08 pm
    ----
Torch cut more likely. The damage seems to be only on one spot on the top of the gun.

Spiking would be more decentralized from a single spot.

JMHO
Regards
Don

#6: Re: Gun tube damage Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:29 pm
    ----
an torch cut would not have made the crack in the tube directly besides the hole

Besides that, the edge of the hole itself looks more that parts have been broken of then melted
So something hit it, with an tremendous force

From the photo's it is not clear if there is an hole through the other wall also

Perhaps I'm wrong, however to me it looks like this is the exit hole Confused

Michel

#7: Re: Gun tube damage Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:48 pm
    ----
I should add this isn't the only tube like this, at least two more has this damage, arrows point to damage

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total

#8: Re: Gun tube damage Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:39 pm
    ----
Multiple tubes with multiple similar holes certainly sound like they were deliberately rendered useless.

Was this site taken by force, or expected to be? History of the emplacements would suggest what the operators might have done...vs. just routine destruction later.

Some context for where this is would be helpful in speculating.

P.S. - I moved this to the artillery forum as a better fit.

#9: Re: Gun tube damage Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:09 am
    ----
again more info, I'm not holding back just not sure what will help. These tubes are on Corregidor, Surrendered to the Japanese in May of 42. Out of appox. 25 tubes on the island these 3 are the only ones with this damage. After the retaking of the island there is no mention of this type of damage, so I assume it is post war. Scrappers??

-> Artillery Forum