M551 Sheridan on registry?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:13 pm
    ----
As I'm busy and too lazy to look for it, want to see if Sheridan #1447 in Charlotte, NC is on the registry. It's in the aircraft restoration area of the Charlotte Aviation Museum and it's in running condition (Yorkmont Road) . That number is straight off the data plate which I also got a shot of (along with many others)

I just spent a terrific day there with my host, Vic Pitts, a retired 1st Sgt. who's caring for this old girl. He's also a former Armor Board fella' like myself who has M60A2/A1E2 time. He was on the early test project for the M551. Wonderful collection of pictures which he's graciously lent me to scan and share, which I'll be doing when I get home. Might even be a surprise or two for JoeD in there. Wink

Mark, I believe you know of the gentleman, you have his pic up in your Flikr pages, and he's now seen one of you. Wink

I'll have a follow-on thread or two when I get to work on some of the images. Some fascinating stuff it is, too.

#2: Re: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:16 pm
    ----
I have the 2008 register to hand - it lists Sheridan #1447 for Carolinas Aviation Museum, Charlotte, NC. That'll be the one.

#3: Re: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:33 am
    ----
That's her...here she is, with me and Vic...

[img]http://www.com-central.net/index.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimagepopup&pid=2780&fullsize=1[/img]

[img]http://www.com-central.net/index.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimagepopup&pid=2778&fullsize=1[/img]

[img]http://www.com-central.net/index.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=lastup&cat=10454&pos=1[/img]

www.com-central.net/in...&pos=2

www.com-central.net/in...&pos=0

www.com-central.net/in...&pos=1

#4: Re: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:14 pm
    ----
I wish I could help. Smile

#5: Re: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:15 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
I wish I could help. Smile

It's my understanding that you have, Vic has all the manuals that you uploaded. Wink

I wish I was closer so I could be more reliable and regular help. The vehicle is surprisingly complete (not a "two box" missile system, but the whole deal). Even radio mounts are present, but not the radios.

Main item missing is the turret drive control box from back of turret. Turret must be traversed by manual crank. They have the surfboard, but of course all the water barrier gear and covers are missing. Something may be fabricated to simulate that aspect. Has full LRF system on board, which is a hoot for me to see (since I tested that system in '72)

#6: Re: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:39 am
    ----
Since you don't often see pics from this angle with water barrier erected, here it is. This is 1447 in Charlotte. Pics courtesy of Vic Pitts.

In the rear view, the two taller structures are the bilge pump outlets. Also, it seems there is an additional "brace" being used on the front surfboard. The barrier is in rough condition with a couple of sizable holes in it on the sides.

#7: Re: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:30 am
    ----
I'm looking for photos of that M551:

M551 Sheridan – Historical Military Armor Museum, Anderson, IN (USA) (2x)
M551 Sheridan – Richardson Motor Pool Storage Facility Patton Museum, Fort Knox, TX(USA) (2x)
M551 Sheridan – Louisiana Military Museum, Ruston, LA (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter, Baltimore, MD (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Local park, Battle Creek, NE (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Camp Perry Military Reservation, Port Clinton, OH (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Hazleton, PA (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Missouri ARNG Armory, Jefferson City, MO (USA)
M551 Sheridan VISMOD – Missouri ARNG Armory, Jefferson City, MO (USA)
M551 Sheridan OPFOR T-72 – 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment Museum, Fort Irwin, CA (USA)

to M551 register: www.massimocorner.com/...ridans.pdf

#8: Re: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:51 am
    ----
- bialy-r
I'm looking for photos of that M551:

M551 Sheridan – Richardson Motor Pool Storage Facility Patton Museum, Fort Knox, TX(USA) (2x)
M551 Sheridan OPFOR T-72 – 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment Museum, Fort Irwin, CA (USA)

to M551 register: www.massimocorner.com/...ridans.pdf

Don and I have at least two of those covered in good detail, let us know what you most desire and we'll see what we can do.

#9: Re: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:07 am
    ----
Good recent photo showing 3/4 view, will be perfect.

#10: Re: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:41 pm
    ----
"M551 Sheridan – Richardson Motor Pool Storage Facility Patton Museum, Fort Knox, TX(USA) (2x)"

I'll be going by RMP this morning.

XM551- Non-Operational - Previously displayed in Keyes Park. I'm not sure but it may have been shipped to Ft Benning already. I'll confirm this.

M551- Operational - Previously in RMP, repainted in 2009 w/ 11ACR 'colors'. Has since been moved to the Museum and was on display in the Vietnam / Cold War Gallery. I'll try to get updated photos.

M551- Non-Operational - Static Display at Wilson Gate. Photos of this one are a problem since its proxmity to the entry gate. The Guards get REAL upset when attempting to photograph anything in the area of the gates.

These are the only M551's that I am aware of on Ft Knox. Range Control may have some 'hard targets' but I am unaware of any M551's at this time.

Regards
Don

#11: Re: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:36 pm
    ----
bialy-r-

Try here:
www.flickr.com/search/...ank&m=text

#12: Re: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:37 pm
    ----
NOTE: M551A1

#13: Re: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:58 pm
    ----
MarkHolloway that M551 is already in register as those too:

M551 Sheridan – Yad la-Shiryon Museum, Latrum (Israel)
M551 Sheridan – Gowen Field Armor Park, Boise, ID (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Fort Lewis, WA (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Fort Snelling Military Museum, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MN (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Commemorative Area, History Center & Equipment Park, Fort McCoy, WI (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Fort Campbell, KY (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Arkansas National Guard Museum, Camp Robinson, Little Rock, AR (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Redstone, AL (USA)
M551 Sheridan – American Legion Post 64, Greenevile, TN (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Yuma Proving Ground, AZ (USA)
M551 Sheridan – 1st Division Museum at Cantigny, Wheaton, IL (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Eldred World War II Museum, Eldred, PA (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Carolinas Aviation Museum, Charlotte, NC (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Jacques Littlefield Collection, Portola, CA (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Fort Hunter Ligget, Lockwood, CA (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Indiana Military History Museum, Vincennes IN (USA)
M551 Sheridan – American Armoured Foundation, Tank Museum, Danville, VA (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Airborne and Special Operations Museum, Fayetteville, NC (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Wilson Road, Fort Knox, KY (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor, Fort Knox, KY (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Military Museum Of Southern New England, Danbury, CT (USA)
M551 Sheridan – American Society of Military History "Tankland" South El Monte, CA (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Fort Douglas Military Museum, Salt Lake City, UT (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Motts Military Museum, Groveport, OH (USA)
M551 Sheridan – corner or 5th Street and B Avenue, in front of 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment HQ, Fort Irwin, CA (USA)
M551 Sheridan – US Army Center Military History Storage Facility, Anniston Army Depot, AL (USA)
M551 Sheridan – 82nd Airborne Division War Memorial Museum, Fort Bragg, GA (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Vermont Militia Museum, Essex Junction, VT (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Franklin Lakes, NJ (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Fort Dix, NJ (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Spec Ops Plaza, Jackson, MO (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Vehicle Recovery Area, Fort McCoy, WI (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Kansas Museum of Military History, Augusta, KS (USA)
M551 Sheridan – 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment Museum, Fort Carson, CO (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Seminary Street, Rockport, IN (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Hardwood Range, Finley, WI (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Intersection of Orchard St & Toft Ave, Antioch, IL (USA)
M551 Sheridan – New Lothrop, MI (USA)
Group of M551 Sheridan – Fort Polk, LA (USA)
M551 Sheridan – Oshawa Military and Industrial Museum, Oshawa, Ontario (Canada)
M551 Sheridan – Oshawa Military and Industrial Museum, Oshawa, Ontario (Canada)
XM551 Sheridan – US Army Ordnance Museum, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD (USA)
XM551 Sheridan – Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor, Fort Knox, KY (USA)
M551 Sheridan OPFOR T-72 – Operations Group HQ, Fort Irwin, CA (USA)

I'm looking for photos of those M551:

#14: Re: M551 Sheridan on registry? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:11 pm
    ----
The Ft. Irwin vehicle is featured in two photos in this thread, the later photo by Chuck, the earlier one by myself. It's the same vehicle. Has apparently moved a matter of about 3 city blocks to it's current location. (and gotten a paintjob)

www.com-central.net/in...ic&t=13616

-> AFV News Discussion Board