Bren/Universal Carrier conversion?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Bren/Universal Carrier conversion? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:03 pm
    ----

www.panoramio.com/photo/7219744
Looks like it's based on a Bren Carrier to me.

#2: Re: Bren/Universal Carrier conversion? Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:06 pm
    ----
T16 based.

#3: Re: Bren/Universal Carrier conversion? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:07 pm
    ----
ugly thing...

P-O

#4: Re: Bren/Universal Carrier conversion? Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:42 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
ugly thing...

P-O

Well some-one liked it, because they placed it specialy at an plate of concrete

Peraps better if they had put it, in the concrete Twisted Evil

Michel

#5: Re: Bren/Universal Carrier conversion? Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:34 pm
    ----
Interesting, one of a variety of tracked vehicles converted for use in artic areas.

I once wrote an article on AFVs in Antarctica for AFV News, I'll see if I can dig it up again.

Last edited by Hanno_Spoelstra on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

#6: Re: Bren/Universal Carrier conversion? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:31 pm
    ----
Speaking of Antartica,.....and 'Ontos Lore'...

I love this photo of one of the original Ontos prototypes (a highly modified T55) which participated in the original mission which established McMurdo Station, Operation Deep Freeze in 1955-56.

This photo was forwarded to me several years ago by one of the original photographers of Op Deep Freeze.

Just wanted to throw this one back out there, for the masses...

Regards
Don

#7: Re: Bren/Universal Carrier conversion? Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:09 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Speaking of Antartica,.....and 'Ontos Lore'...

I love this photo of one of the original Ontos prototypes (a highly modified T55) which participated in the original mission which established McMurdo Station, Operation Deep Freeze in 1955-56.

This photo was forwarded to me several years ago by one of the original photographers of Op Deep Freeze.

Just wanted to throw this one back out there, for the masses...

Regards
Don

I wonder if it is still sitting there?

C

#8: Re: Bren/Universal Carrier conversion? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:24 pm
    ----
Actually The T55 Ontos returned to the US in 1956. It sat in a depot in New Jersey for several years. A private collector bought it, after it was declared scrap. He turned around several years later and 'traded it' for a 'Stuart light tank', to a company in Augusta, Georgia.

This is where the trail went 'cold'. The last time anyone saw this vehicle was in the 1980s.

As part of my hunt for the 'Antarctic Ontos', I established contacts with the OAEA (Old Antatctic Explorers Association). They were quite interested in the vehicle, for inclusion in a museum. Surviving members actually remember operating it 'On the Ice', one of them being the individual who provided the above photo.

Regards
Don

#9: AFVs in Antarctica Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:16 pm
    ----
- Hanno_Spoelstra
I once wrote an article on AFVs in Antarctica for AFV News, I'll see if I can dig it up again.

In the MAY-AUG. 1995 issue (Volume 30, No. 2) of AFV News I publised a 2 page article "UPDATE on AFVs in ANTARCTICA".

I short, the Americans took vehicles converted from an M2A2 Light Tank and a Light Tractor, probably a T3E3. These vehicles are now official monuments, just like the remains of the base itself.

Attached is a picture of the remains of said vehicles at Stonington Island, as left in 1941 (found somewhere on the internet).
See more pictures of the two vehicles here: travel.webshots.com/al...am?start=0 and here: www.flickr.com/photos/...392585348/

Last edited by Hanno_Spoelstra on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

#10: Re: Bren/Universal Carrier conversion? Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:33 pm
    ----
One more picture of the AFV remains in Antarctica:
www.flickr.com/photos/...188316424/

#11: Re: Bren/Universal Carrier conversion? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:09 am
    ----
- Hanno_Spoelstra
One more picture of the AFV remains in Antarctica:
www.flickr.com/photos/...188316424/

Lot of interesting photos there! Mr. Green

#12: Re: Bren/Universal Carrier conversion? Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:16 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Lot of interesting photos there! Mr. Green

Yes, but he googled them all it seems, and posted captions which in many cases are incorrect.

-> AFV News Discussion Board