Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Problem
-> Hardware

#1: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Problem Author: HF_WarbucksLocation: Newcastle, Australia PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:51 am
    ----
Howdee Gentlemen,

I've recently installed Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my new gamer. The problem is that my USB devices, (particularly my joystick Logitech Extreme 3D) keep disabling after a reboot. IL2 1946 then sees my n52te as the first USB device, and the stick as ID2 while the n52te remains as the primary gaming controller, despite the fact that it isn't plugged in.

I uninstalled all of my game controllers, then reinstalled the stick about 100 times. It works fine until I install any other USB game controllers or reboot the PC. It's becoming a f#@%!&g joke as I have been trying to resolve this issue for near on 36 hours. I'm now very tempted to kill win 7 and go back to XP Pro, even if it means that I'll have 4 gb Ram that XP won't be able to detect. At least I know that it will work.

Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated, otherwise win 7 is going in the bin with all the crap Microsoft software that I've had. I hope Steve Ballmer's chickens turn in to emus and knock his dunny down. Twisted Evil

System Specs;
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
RAM: 6 Gb Corsair triple channel
Video: 2 ATI Radeon HD 5700 series (Crossfire)

I consider this overkill for a word processor and Internet browsing! No point in having a gaming rig if you can't use game controllers.

Regards
Mister War

#2: Re: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Problem Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:51 pm
    ----
I wouldn't kill win7 just yet.
It does come with pre-installed little issues like this though.

I don't know the problem and haven't heard of it before.
I would suggest asking elsewhere if you don't get a solution here.

Try the M$ Win 7 forum and Logitech's site.

These links may help you; I've also posted some that I don't think will, but there's always a chance....

www.microsoft.com/wind...7/faq.aspx

windows.microsoft.com/.../community

forums.logitech.com/

www.belkin.com/support/

I think your best bet is the second in the list.
Let us know how you get on.

One other thing, did you upgrade to Win7 or do a fresh install?

#3: Re: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Problem Author: HF_WarbucksLocation: Newcastle, Australia PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:37 pm
    ----
Thanks Shades,

The issue is half solved. I downloaded and installed the latest Logitech software which supports Windoze 7 64 bit. I can now reboot and the stick is working properly. IL2 1946 is detecting the stick as the primary game controller.

I then downloaded and installed the current version of the Belkin n52te software and then plugged it in. I returned to Il2 1946 only to find that the speedpad is once more listed as the primary game controller and the Logitech stick has been once more recognized as ID2.

I decided to see if I could live with that by programming the stick as ID2. Unfortunately it doesn't really work. The ailerons are ok, but the elevators will only work when I twist the stick. The elevator axis will not work at all. I then uninstalled the n52te software for about the 356th time and the stick is working properly as the primary gaming controller.

Fantastic! I have several hundred dollars invested in game controllers and it appears that the only thing that will work properly in IL2 is the stick. How I'd love to meet Steve Ballmer. I'd rip his head off and crap in his neck. Evil or Very Mad

War

#4: Re: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Problem Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:03 am
    ----
now thats the mr war I know and love hahahaha!

#5: Re: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Problem Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:09 am
    ----
You did the right thing.
Hearing what's happened since I would say it may have worked better the other way around (Belkin first) but hindsight advice is only ever useful after you needed it.
Try removing the joystick drivers and re-installing (now you've got the Belkin drivers working).

I hate it when driver providers don't consider how they'll work with other equipment.
I had problems with Belkin drivers about ten years ago.
Threw their hardware away and have refused to use them since.

Oh, and please standby for much Ashes mirth & gloating in due course.

#6: Re: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Problem Author: HF_WarbucksLocation: Newcastle, Australia PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:10 pm
    ----
I uninstalled the stick and the speedpad then reinstalled them both again. This time the Belkin was the first device that I installed. Still no joy! IL2 still recognizes my stick as ID2.

I'm confident that Belkin is not the problem as it all worked flawlessly in XP Pro. The problem started after I installed Win 7. The scary thing is that Win 8 is just around the corner and I fear it won't be much better.

That's typically Microsuck!

#7: Re: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Problem Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:45 pm
    ----
What about a simple swapping of the usb plugs?

When windows boots, it may find the Belkin kit before the Saitek kit, by swapping the plugs, it then may find the Saitek before the Belkin.

I'll get me coat. Smile

#8: Re: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Problem Author: HF_WarbucksLocation: Newcastle, Australia PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:38 pm
    ----
Thanks for your input lads. I also posted this issue on the Ubisoft forums and it appears that the problem has now been rectified.

Check out the Ubisoft Forums for a work around solution to this issue.

Thank you one and all. May your camels be blessed with three humps!

Kind Regards,
War

#9: Re: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Problem Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:48 pm
    ----
I'm glad you got it... Wink

#10: Re: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Problem Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:22 pm
    ----
That's the main thing I dislike about the zoo. There is always someone who has to go out of their way to be a jerk.

Glad you got it solved Smile

Wheels

#11: Re: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit Problem Author: HF_WarbucksLocation: Newcastle, Australia PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:33 pm
    ----
Thanks Wheels,

"the zoo". LOL

-> Hardware