AMD Phenom II Black Edition for Gaming
-> Hardware

#1: AMD Phenom II Black Edition for Gaming Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:28 pm
    ----
As most of you know, I'm an avid Intel fan but a couple of years ago, I decided to try AMD (again after some early disappointing years) to see how AMD is performing. After the upgrade from Pent4, I went to AMD's 6000 chipset and was surprised to see how well my machine has performed since the update. The AMD chipset set up easy, is fast and performs quite well with no hiccups of any kind, so I read the following story from Eweek.com with keen interest...

- Eweek.com
AMD Phenom II Black Edition Desktop Processors Aimed at Gamers

By: Nathan Eddy
2010-12-07

The processors offer the company's Turbo Core, a performance boosting technology that shifts frequency speeds.

Chip maker Advanced Micro Devices announced two "Black Edition" processors, including the company’s flagship six-core desktop processor. These processors join AMD's 8-series chipset and recently launched AMD Radeon HD 6000 series graphics for PCs that deliver enhanced high-definition experiences in 3D with GPU-accelerated multimedia performance. With these latest technologies, gamers and PC enthusiasts can enjoy the “ultimate visual experience” on a new PC featuring Vision Black Technology from AMD, according to the company.

The AMD Phenom II X6 1100T is AMD's new desktop flagship processor, offering advanced processing features like unlocked clock multipliers, Turbo Core technology and six-core performance. The company’s Phenom II X2 565 Black Edition is described by AMD as an “affordable processor for enthusiasts looking for performance-tuning capabilities at amazing clock speeds.”

Turbo Core is a performance boosting technology that automatically switches from six cores to three turbocharged cores for applications that just need raw speed over multiple cores. While in Turbo Core mode, the Phenom II X6 1090T shifts frequency speed from 3.2GHz on six cores to 3.6GHz on three cores, making it the fastest processor AMD has ever created.

To read the complete story, Click HERE!

#2: Re: AMD Phenom II Black Edition for Gaming Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:14 pm
    ----
You should mention it to Slowhand.
I hear he's looking to build a new p.c.

Wink

#3: Re: AMD Phenom II Black Edition for Gaming Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:30 am
    ----
Cool. I am looking for something to set up to fly FSX. From the info I have gathered the biggest single factor affect how smoothly FSX runs is core speed. The newer Intel I5 and I7's rate higher than anything AMD has put out as of yet, including the X6 1100T.

I am trading in my trusty ole AMD Athlon 64 4000+ for a new I7-875K unlocked (Intel follows AMD's lead on unlocking processors.).

My understanding is that I should be able to get 4 cores to 3.9GHz to 4.1GHz fairly easy (games do not use more than 4 cores according to "Tom").

I have everything, I have just been sitting here looking at it all LOL...

CPU Charts - Toms Hardware

Toms Hardware Gaming CPU Heirarchy Chart

#4: Re: AMD Phenom II Black Edition for Gaming Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:22 pm
    ----
LOL Slow, get busy and get that thing put together!! I would caution you on turning your Christmas lights and that new computer on at the same time unless you're going to warn the electric company first...

#5: Re: AMD Phenom II Black Edition for Gaming Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:05 pm
    ----
- HF_SlowHand
I should be able to get 4 cores to 3.9GHz to 4.1GHz fairly easy

I should blimmin' hope so!
I bought a 2.66GHz which is running at 3.8GHz.

#6: Re: AMD Phenom II Black Edition for Gaming Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:26 pm
    ----
2 scart... me electric personality is gonna fry my mobo LOL

#7: Re: AMD Phenom II Black Edition for Gaming Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:31 pm
    ----
LOL Slow, the worst that can happen is you'll burn the house down... (kidding of course).

Keep in mind building the machine is the easy part, it's loading all the software that takes the longest. Did you "Ghost" or "make an Image" of your HD prior to building the new machine? Wink

#8: Re: AMD Phenom II Black Edition for Gaming Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:09 pm
    ----
And after.
We all keep saying we're going to do it and only the bright ones do (not me, sadly.., *sigh*).

Ghost your finished disk so you can re-format at the slightest hint of trouble and your lovely machine will be right back where you started with all the crap that took you the whole day to install and configure.

#9: Re: AMD Phenom II Black Edition for Gaming Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:38 am
    ----
sheesh, i feel so deflated... thanks shades LOL

ghost what? I have about 3 -4 HDD with windoz on them lol - just swap em out when one craps out... KIDDING M$!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

ahhh any tutorials on ghosting would be appreciated - I aint ashamed to say I dunno nuttin bout it! and what about a burn in...?

-> Hardware