Were T-34/85 for sale?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Were T-34/85 for sale? Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:08 pm
    ----
No joke, someone I know wants to buy a T-34/85. His idea was buying one in BiH (Military Training Center, Bugojno), but IMO it must be possible at other locations/companies.

Anyone who knows were to get a T-34??

regards,
Lesley

#2: Re: Were T-34/85 for sale? Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:47 pm
    ----
Hi,

I'd suggest that it might be possible to obtain a T34/85 in any number of former Eastern Bloc countries, as well as quite a few former client-states. BiH is one of those, and the weak government structure and rampant organized crime may make obtaining a used tank much easier.

The official-ness of the transaction and the amount of cash needed to 'lubricate' the transaction will likely vary from place to place. Your friend will need to decide just how far he will go to circumvent laws and bureaucracies, and would do well to engage a local 'broker'. I'm not suggesting that he will need to (or should) break any laws, but there are different amounts of bending that may need to be done depending on where he shops.

There may also be importation restrictions in some countries. The further west into Europe (or to the US) you go, the laws will become less amenable to applications of cash, and efforts to circumvent those laws can lead to jail time. Your friend needs to do a good deal of research before he gives anyone any money.

C

#3: Re: Were T-34/85 for sale? Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:52 pm
    ----
Best thing would be to use an local proffesional military vehicle trading company for shipping
These guy's know the rules and know the way's, especially for Eastern Europe countries

Concerning Western Europe, if you have the correct shipping papers you are free to ship an AFV or tank, anywhere within Western Europe
That is the advantage of the European Union Wink

If you friend is planning to ship to the US Neutral
That is allmost impossible to arrange, because of the regulation there

Even if there is an possibility it will be very expensive

Michel

#4: Re: Were T-34/85 for sale? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:02 am
    ----
Along the lines of what Michel said, you could try the British company "Russian Military" www.russiantruck.co.uk/

They dont appear to have any T-34s at present - but could probably put you/him in touch with the right people.

Neil

#5: Re: Were T-34/85 for sale? Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 am
    ----
It all depends in what state it should be, ready to drive or with "some" work to be done.
I know of some recovered from ranges in Germany, state: a lot of work to be done Wink but the hull wasn't full of holes.
Looking at the job Adrian has done, a vehicle has to be far gone to be unrestorable.

Michel

#6: Re: Were T-34/85 for sale? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:07 am
    ----
Maybe it would be worth asking the Warsaw Citadel museum? Google seem to have just upgraded their Polish satellite photos as you can now see the Citadel's storage area very clearly and you couldn't before. It holds vehicles that are extras, as the museum already has 2 or 3 T34s on display, and it must contain at least a dozen:

maps.google.co.uk/maps...1&t=h&z=19

I'm sure they could spare one or two...!

#7: Re: Were T-34/85 for sale? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:37 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
Maybe it would be worth asking the Warsaw Citadel museum? Google seem to have just upgraded their Polish satellite photos as you can now see the Citadel's storage area very clearly and you couldn't before. It holds vehicles that are extras, as the museum already has 2 or 3 T34s on display, and it must contain at least a dozen:

maps.google.co.uk/maps...h&z=19

I'm sure they could spare one or two...!

Is that the Fort Czerniakowski museum? If so, they certainly had one hiding "behind the fence". In addition to a passel of those maritime BTR-50 thingies. (they have so many, and I have so few... Sad )

#8: Re: Were T-34/85 for sale? Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:48 am
    ----
That is storage area of Polish Army Museum, it is in Fort Czerniachowski in Warsaw.

The Museum have there about 13 T-34/85, 7 PT-76, 2 ZSU-57-2, 6 OT-62, 5 OT-64, ISU ARV, WPT-34 ARV but they are not for sale. The only way to obtain one of the vehicles from collection of Polish Army Museum is to make an exchange.

If somebody have any type of arnoured vehicle that was used by Polish Army on the West, I'm 90% sure that the museum would be interested in exchange.

The museum have only T-16, Humber Scout Car, Sexton and Grizzly.

ps.

If someone is interested in such exchanege just contact me on PM.

The museum could be interested in post WWII against post WWII vehicle exchange.

#9: Re: Were T-34/85 for sale? Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:14 pm
    ----
Every man who wants to buy T-34-85 should understand that there are different T-34-85s in different states with different historical value.

The most valuable are tanks that were produced during a war and participated in action (especially with hits' marks).
Some of them could be produced with T-34-76 details or maybe with T-34-76 rebuilded hulls (not clear question - there are some monuments with 85 turret over 76 hull, but it is not clear when they were made).
These war-time tanks can be early or late (late have different turret/hull construction; there is a chance that they did not were in time for actions).

Next are "late" after-war 34-85. They have some modifications that were introduced after the war (no chance that this tank participated in WWII).

Next are 34-85 produced in Poland or Czechoslovakia (or maybe other countries?) after the war. They can have significantly different construction from russian tanks.

Also tanks can be in original or modernized state.
Most of 34-85 tanks in Russia were modernized after the war and received several internal or external modifications (such as T-54-like wheels or IR-headlights).
Often tanks have late engines (T-54 or later(?) engines rebuilt to install it in a T-34 hull).

If a man wants to use such tank in a reconstruction or some show in state "as it was in 1944/45", the task to downgrade modernized tank can appear.

-> AFV News Discussion Board