ID~M2 series light tank?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: ID~M2 series light tank? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:18 pm
    ----

#2: Re: ID~M2 series light tank? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:25 pm
    ----
I'd say M1 Combat Car.

#3: Re: ID~M2 series light tank? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:27 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
I'd say M1 Combat Car.

I think so, too. It gets a little fuzzy with the M1/M2 A"X" designations, which I gather have to do with the trailing idler wheel placement.

Would this be in "Stuart"? I don't have a copy.

#4: Re: ID~M2 series light tank? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:36 pm
    ----
Thanks! I was thinking M2 for some reason.

#5: Re: ID~M2 series light tank? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:27 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

I think so, too. It gets a little fuzzy with the M1/M2 A"X" designations, which I gather have to do with the trailing idler wheel placement.

I believe so - a big idler on the ground would make it an M2 Combat Car (later 'Light Tank').

#6: Re: ID~M2 series light tank? Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:49 am
    ----
It's clearly not a "tank" as it has a 40-xxx registration. I have this listed as an M1A1 Model 1938 combat car, later to become an M1A2 light tank.

KL

#7: Re: ID~M2 series light tank? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:52 pm
    ----
Good point Kurt. I'll have to remember that!

#8: Re: ID~M2 series light tank? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:23 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

Would this be in "Stuart"? I don't have a copy.

The name Stuart came from the British so they could tell the difference between a M3 light tank and a M3 medium tank.
Prior to the start of the Lend-Lease program and the arrival of the British, no US combat car or light tank had anything other that a "T#" or "M#"

This vehicle however is the grandfather of the Stuart M3/M5 vehicles.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board