New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:14 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Another pile of junk removed from the wearhouse and placed on display. Today is the second time I have been able to look this vehicle over.
No sign of any serial numbers. The staff thinks they may have a volunteer who wants to slowly work on this one.
Being a Scout, got to love an old Scout vehicle.

How many of you know which branch ordered the M8 and what was it build to do?

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 am
    ----
I know the Military Police used the M8 and/or the M20.

#3: Re: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:11 am
    ----
Hey Roy!!

Just have them send it here, and I'll volunteer to work on it.

I promise to send it back,.....someday!!

Regards
Don

#4: Re: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:24 am
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

I know the Military Police used the M8 and/or the M20.

The MPs maybe the number one branch that found it very useful. But only after WWII ended and recon units where reduced to using only gun jeeps which cost less to operate.

Sense you brought up the M20 armored utility car, the same branch that ordered the M8, also order the M20, it however didn't find a lot of takers outside of the ordering branch. Looking at the TOE for a WWII division there are only a hand full of M20s in a division.

Hint: Where did the cannon come from and what was the original owners primarly using it for?
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:27 am
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

Hey Roy!!

Just have them send it here, and I'll volunteer to work on it.

I promise to send it back,.....someday!!

Regards
Don

If I was not still working 40 hours a week, I would try to help fix both of the junk piles up!
Sgt, Scouts out!

#6: Re: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:04 pm
    ----
Try my 'tried & true' weekly model...

Mon/ Tues/ Thurs: 30+ hours (paid) work...

Wed: On call (paid) work

Friday: Vol work (usually Cobra King)

Saturday & Sunday: "free time"

Unfortunately since museum access is closed on the weekends I have all kinds of time for "Honey Do's"....ha ha ha

So it is plain to see that I have all kinds of time to work on a weekend project!! I could let my neighborhood UPS or FEDEX guy know of a possible sizeable delivery (M2 HT or M8 AC..?) if y'all want to go ahead and send it....(?!)

Regards
Don

#7: Re: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:29 pm
    ----
Roy, was it the cavalry?

#8: Re: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:00 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!
- Neil_Baumgardner

Roy, was it the cavalry?

Sorry Neil, but no. The new Armored Force and the Cavalry became the number one user of the M8 during WW II. That is where we see almost all photos and stories about the M8 during the war.

In March of 1942 the T22 (M8 pilot) was tested by the Armored Force Board at Ft. Knox. It "was suitable for use as a reconnaissance vehicle for both the Armored Force and the Cavalry and would meet the requirements of the" ordering Branch. As it started rolling out of the factory and reaching units, the ordering branch woke up to the fact that by the time it's M8 units could reach the MTO and the ETO, it not long met "the requirements".

"Production started at Ford in March 1943 and continued through May 1945 with a total run of 8,523."

"The M8 also was evaluated by the British and given the name Greyhound."

Hint: "On 9 October 1942, the ........(Ordering Branch).....it be adopted as the standard mount for the ............in all ........ ......battalions." Something that never happiend. Now who would want hold battalions equiped with M8s?

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total

#9: Re: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:19 pm
    ----

#10: Re: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:10 am
    ----
Ah, I think I have the answer, which I suspected originally. Was it perhaps not really a "branch" at all per se (sorry if I'm nitpicking), but rather a "force"? And an outgrowth of another branch at that? Wink

Neil

#11: Re: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:52 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

Ah, I think I have the answer, which I suspected originally. Was it perhaps not really a "branch" at all per se (sorry if I'm nitpicking), but rather a "force"? And an outgrowth of another branch at that? Wink

???? OK, maybe I was being to general with the use of the term "branch".
As for "force", don't think so, but maybe I am not right either.

Anyway, the Hunnicutt book that cover's this vehicle calls the branch I was talking about a "Command". As for where it came from, I am not sure. Possible this command grew out of the Field Artillery branch?

Hint: The using branch or command set up it's headquarters and training at Camp Hood, later Fort Hood, Texas.

Spot Report!
Sgt Scouts out!

#12: Re: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: panamadan PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:59 am
    ----
Tank Destroyers Corps was at Hood in WWII.
It was meant to scout for the tank destroyers-"Seek-Strike-Destroy".
Dan

#13: Re: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:13 am
    ----
Yep, grew out of the Field Artillery...

Neil

#14: Re: New at Ft. Bliss M8 Armored Car Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:27 am
    ----
Hi Dan! Hi Folks!

- panamadan

Tank Destroyers Corps was at Hood in WWII.
It was meant to scout for the tank destroyers-"Seek-Strike-Destroy".

Ft Hood! We have half of a bingo!

Tank Destoryer Command ended up using it as a scout vehicle, however at the time it was ordered, the 37mm cannon was the main anti-gun for the US Army. They had planned to use it as a fast moving AT vehicle. It wasn't until after the actions in North Africa that the US Army started understanding the 37mm was to small. Remember most of the TD units went into North Africa using the M6 (WC 4x4 with a 37 in the cargo bed) and a towed version of the 37. The M8 was going to be the "stardard carrier for all 37"s.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board