British names for M4 medium tanks
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: British names for M4 medium tanks Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:51 pm
    ----
Hello Sir. Hello Folks!

- Hanno_Spoelstra

I am sorry Roy, but I understood you wanted to make a listing of British names assigned to the M4-series AFVs.

That is correct sir.

- Hanno_Spoelstra

That is what I provided you with.

That is not correct sir.

The listings on your site confirm many of the designations I found in "the Sherman". Your list only encludes three of the "Paper" names, the IB, Hybrid I, and IIA. I am looking for all of the British assigned designations for both suppied and the ones that where not supplied or "Paper" names. From your site and the books I have, it looks like one version is missing a designation.

Did the M4A3E2 have a "Paper" name? Has it not been listed to reduce the confusion factor? Or is the case it never received a name.
If it was never named it would be nice to learn why if that information is VERY handy.

If "the Sherman" book has the wrong names, it would be great to learn which names are wrong. Only telling me that Mr. Chamberlain and Mr. Ellis "got it wrong" doesn't help me learn. It just tells me I should take their book and put it in the trash. It also tells me to take all my other books, which have at least one mistake, and throw all of them away. No human being is 100% right, 100% of the time. Just go back and look up all of my postings here. I make a lot. Everyone makes mistakes and in the world of publishing books, the error factor goes up due unknown resouces at the time and all the other people that have something to do with publishing their efforts.

- Hanno_Spoelstra

How I understand you (also) want to trace back all the steps taken of how the final result was attained? And have an answer why certain existing subtypes did not get a British designation, while others that did not make it into production did?

Only if the steps explain why the M4A3E2 never received a paper one.

- Hanno_Spoelstra

If you want I can have a look if I still have copies of the material I used (though it might take a while as it is stored away), but I doubt it provides all the answers you're looking for.

Thank you very much sir. If you feel the info is not there, please save your time for better things.

Thank you Sir!
Sgt, Scouts out!

#17: Re: British names for M4 medium tanks Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:57 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
That is not correct sir.

Probably I lack to master the finesses of the English language (I am not a native speaker), but it seems I have stepped on your toes. If so, I apologize as I have no intentions to do so.

Did the M4A3E2 have a "Paper" name? Has it not been listed to reduce the confusion factor? Or is the case it never received a name.

AFAIK it was never designated by the British, most likely for reasons listed earlier in this thread. The real reason we possibly will never know . . .

It just tells me I should take their book and put it in the trash. It also tells me to take all my other books, which have at least one mistake, and throw all of them away.

Don’t be silly. No book is without errors, but that is no reason to throw them away. It is the perfect reason to buy more books, as you can then compare sources.

HTH,
Hanno

#18: Re: British names for M4 medium tanks Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:46 pm
    ----
- Hanno_Spoelstra
[Probably I lack to master the finesses of the English language (I am not a native speaker
Hanno

Actually, your mastery puts many of my countrymen to shame, I am sad to say!

I think this just goes to show how easy it is for internet conversations to develop in unintended directions.....

-> AFV News Discussion Board