M103 Tank Unit?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:15 pm
    ----
Rudy

Wow thanks for the 'history lesson'!!

Having been at 'The Rock' and never really knowing its true past, it nice to hear stories of the days long before my time there.

BTW: WELCOME !!

Regards
Don

#32: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: Rudy13thCav PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:23 pm
    ----
Thanks Don. I'm currently trying to figure out how to join on Tank net. I was interested in tanks as a kid and have never lost interest in Armor. A 'cousin' of mine was one of the original members of the U.S. Cav Assn so I've maintained a membership in the Armor Assn. for years and am a life member of the Assn of the U.S. Army and the Vets Assn of the 3rd Armored Divn.

Rudy

#33: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:48 pm
    ----
- Rudy13thCav
Thanks Don. I'm currently trying to figure out how to join on Tank net. I was interested in tanks as a kid and have never lost interest in Armor. A 'cousin' of mine was one of the original members of the U.S. Cav Assn so I've maintained a membership in the Armor Assn. for years and am a life member of the Assn of the U.S. Army and the Vets Assn of the 3rd Armored Divn.

Rudy

Rudy,
Are you the person who reported having difficulty getting registered at Tank-Net as "Sonofagunner"? Send me a PM, please, I can help.

Sending a PM here at C-C is easy, just click on a member's name and several options will appear. To make it simpler,I'll send you one and you can just reply. It will appear in the menu at top of screen that says "you have 1 new message" or something. Just click on that and go to the message and "reply".

#34: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: commandoLocation: Dawsonville Georgia PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:59 pm
    ----
I WAS THER E WHEN YOU WERE 58 TO 60 HAD ALOT FUN ONTHE ROCK I REMEMBER SEEING THE DCO TANKS THER E YOU WOULDNOT HAPPEN TOO HAVE ANY PHOTOS OF THE BIG TANKS PARKED THERE IF YOU DO MAYBE I CAN BUY A COPY .

#35: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: Rudy13thCav PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:11 am
    ----
I am sorry to say I do not have any HT photos. I thought I had a few but after a lot of digging around, couldn't come up with any.

However....another gentleman served at Ayers the same time we did and this site has some 'heavies' at Ayers. The webmaster has shown him as a member of the 1st Cav and that was not the case. It was the 13th Cav.

Anyway I hope you enjoy the pictures.

www.3ad.com/history/co...priddy.htm

Rudy

#36: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:35 am
    ----
WOW !!

Those are amazing. Its funny how 30 years later (1989) many of those scenes were the same.

Although the main gate was drastically different, as would be expected.

The parade ground had trees lining it & The post flag pole was flanked by 2 M24 Chaffees.

Awesome photos
Regards
Don
(Ayers Kaserne 1986-89)

#37: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:56 am
    ----
- Rudy13thCav
I am sorry to say I do not have any HT photos. I thought I had a few but after a lot of digging around, couldn't come up with any.

However....another gentleman served at Ayers the same time we did and this site has some 'heavies' at Ayers. The webmaster has shown him as a member of the 1st Cav and that was not the case. It was the 13th Cav.

Anyway I hope you enjoy the pictures.

www.3ad.com/history/co...priddy.htm

Rudy

Great pictures, though I'm fairly astonished to see AFV's tooling around with the crews in winter hats and no CVC's or apparent commo gear. Were these beauty shots or did they really conduct road (and off-road) marches without radio and intercoms?

#38: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: Rudy13thCav PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:39 am
    ----
Commo gear/helmets were SOP. Half the time the stuff didn't work and I would occasionally see a crew person without the proper gear. TC's had their gear on but a loader would be seen with his head out the hatch wearing a pile cap. I think some of the guys thought it was goofy to pretend commo gear worked so they'd take it off. Of course of the CO caught them, they put it back on.

I doubt the photos were beauty shots as Priddy was one of the grunts who carried a camera and took pictures for his own collection-so they were on the scene, actual.

Our motor officer would climb in a PC or tank and keep his pile cap on since he was riding along and not 'directing' anything.

I just took a look at my Army pictures and sire enough, there are a couple of crewmen on my M51 in pile caps. Now that I think back, I remember we'd give one guy the helmet and he could listen to the radio, the rest of us would wear pile caps.

#39: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: commandoLocation: Dawsonville Georgia PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:25 pm
    ----
Thanks rudy the photos were great toosee mayby ican contact priddy and see if he has any more

#40: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:01 am
    ----
- Rudy13thCav
Commo gear/helmets were SOP. Half the time the stuff didn't work and I would occasionally see a crew person without the proper gear. TC's had their gear on but a loader would be seen with his head out the hatch wearing a pile cap. I think some of the guys thought it was goofy to pretend commo gear worked so they'd take it off. Of course of the CO caught them, they put it back on.

I doubt the photos were beauty shots as Priddy was one of the grunts who carried a camera and took pictures for his own collection-so they were on the scene, actual.

Our motor officer would climb in a PC or tank and keep his pile cap on since he was riding along and not 'directing' anything.

I just took a look at my Army pictures and sire enough, there are a couple of crewmen on my M51 in pile caps. Now that I think back, I remember we'd give one guy the helmet and he could listen to the radio, the rest of us would wear pile caps.

Thanks. I was just astonished to see the driver of an armored vehicle without any apparent means of communication (apart from shouting) to his vehicle commander.

#41: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:47 pm
    ----
Doug

Check out the crew of this M103 from D Co, 33rd Armor (7th Army!?),.....wearing pile caps

Regards
Don

#42: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:21 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Doug

Check out the crew of this M103 from D Co, 33rd Armor (7th Army!?),.....wearing pile caps

Regards
Don

I'm really not being judgmental, I'm just really, really surprised!

#43: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: commandoLocation: Dawsonville Georgia PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:33 pm
    ----
Thank,s doug that is a great shot, it was probaly shot in1959 we had bad winter that loys of that white stuff !!!!!!!!!

#44: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:41 pm
    ----
Doug

I wasn't meaning to make that sound judgemental, just another example of your observation.

Personally I always hated the pile cap. In the winter, I preferred my CVC as it always seemed to keep my head & ears warm. (Of course, I was accused of being a 'hot-head' on many occasions!?)

Regards
Don

#45: Re: M103 Tank Unit? Author: commandoLocation: Dawsonville Georgia PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:30 am
    ----
Hello Rudy, I was going too ask you yerstday where you found that photo at if you don,t mind telling me thanks bobby

-> AFV News Discussion Board