Cherokee, NC M60A3 & Memorial park gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Cherokee, NC M60A3 & Memorial park gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:02 pm
    ----
Posted a gallery of images from the M60A3 & Cherokee War Memorial in Cherokee, NC.

The Memorial Park is at the intersection of Tsali Blvd (US 441) and Sequoyah Trail Spur.
The M60A3 is located under the trees at the far end of the parking lot.

WARNING: SOME IMAGES MAY BE DISTURBING TO AFV FANS

The M60A3 is not well cared for and it appears that her care is NOT part of the War Memorial. She is stashed under some trees about 100 yards from the park. First time I’ve seen lichen growing on a tank.

The Cherokee War Memorial is beautifully done and we’ve included images of the artworks on display – including the tremendous “Transformation Through Forgiveness” sculpture.

Gallery link:

afvagabond.smugmug.com...8444_2VeuE

#2: Re: Cherokee, NC M60A3 & Memorial park gallery Author: Smashy PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:31 am
    ----
Someone report them! I am sure there is some other location that would take care of it. My front yard springs to mind Cool

#3: Re: Cherokee, NC M60A3 & Memorial park gallery Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:44 pm
    ----
I suspect they requested the tank, then realized they didnt have the funds for its upkeep - perhaps they even got it in bad condition, and we're able to make it look good enough to put on display.

Case in point, is this an empty pad I see next to the M1A2 howitzer?
afvagabond.smugmug.com...2376_rG87M

Neil

#4: Re: Cherokee, NC M60A3 & Memorial park gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:05 pm
    ----
Neil,

What you mention is not an empty pad, but a sidewalk.

The memorial itself is well kept and nicely presented - making it even stranger that the M60 is off in the trees. I have no idea of how things are organized there - it was just sad to see the tank stuck under the trees, away from the memorial and the road. The first time I visited the spot, back in 2005, I hadn't even noticed the tank!

She wasn't really in that bad of condition, just forlorn. Sad

-> AFV News Discussion Board