Bovington
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 48, 49, 50  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#136: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:12 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
The engine used by this Tiger actually comes from the Museum's Kingtiger (the one on loan from Shrivenham), so it's a Maybach HL230, not a 210.
Massimo

I believe that the engine's come from the other King Tiger, the V2. The ex-Shrivenham example has been without an engine for at least 20 years.

#137: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:25 pm
    ----
Now that you make me think, I know for sure it's a 230 and comes from a Kingtiger. Got the impression is the Henschel turret one, but I am not 100% sure...

Massimo

#138: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:30 pm
    ----
- earlymb
If I remember correctly this engine was rebuilt by mechanics of the SDKFZ Foundation (now the Weald Foundation) before it went into Tiger 131. Two of the mechanics now work for the Crompton Military Vehicle Collection.

The first engine refit was done by ABRO (see Museum's DVD) but I was told more work was required later on.

Massimo

#139: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:50 am
    ----
The Tiger131 website does state that the engine is a 230. There's some discussion on the HMVF about the chances of getting either of Bov's KT's running. The ex-Shrivenham example is definately engineless, being noted as having concrete blocks replacing it (I assume so that the suspension in loaded properly to make it sit level).

#140: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:34 am
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
There's some discussion on the HMVF about the chances of getting either of Bov's KT's running.

Everybody I met in Bovington immediately asked about Full/Thun's Kingtiger as soon as they heard I live in Switzerland.

Nobody instead was aware of the Vickers 34 under restoration in Thun.

Massimo

#141: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:37 am
    ----
"Tank Chavs" eh?

#142: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:21 pm
    ----
Konigstiger Porsche. With its gun turned on the side it was impossible to get a good "portrait" shot Crying or Very sad

Something that may be new for a few of us: the 8,8 cm gun is not original, it's a later type fitted to the tank after it arrived in Britain (info from the Museum)

Massimo

#143: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:23 am
    ----
P-O asked me for pictures of M4A1 "Michael". I've took 38 shots of it. Since I know there are many Sherman enthusiasts here, I am sharing all my pictures with the rest of the forum.

Please note these are hi-res, very large files. The complete download is over 500 Mb. The files are grouped inside four .zip and available from here:
www.massimocorner.com/afv/temp/

Since the files take a lot of server's space, they will not stay online too long. If you are interested, grab them asap.

Pictures are free for personal usage. If you plan to do anything more with them, please contact me first.

Massimo

#144: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:25 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
P-O asked me for pictures of M4A1 "Michael". I've took 38 shots of it. Since I know there are many Sherman enthusiasts here, I am sharing all my pictures with the rest of the forum.

Please note these are hi-res, very large files. The complete download is over 500 Mb. The files are grouped inside four .zip and available from here:
www.massimocorner.com/afv/temp/

Since the files take a lot of server's space, they will not stay online too long. If you are interested, grab them asap.

Pictures are free for personal usage. If you plan to do anything more with them, please contact me first.

Massimo

I also added a gallery showing "Michael", with 25 smaller pictures (800 x 600), on the "Sherman minutia" website :

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/the_oldest_sherman/index.html

P-O

#145: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:50 pm
    ----
That glossy bronze-green color make it harder to get good pictures. But I am glad to contributed to Sherman minutia" Smile

Massimo

#146: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:58 pm
    ----
There's a section in this month's "Classic Military Vehicles" about the "British" King Tigers.
The one originally selected for preservation at Haustenbeck, had Zimmerit & a damaged gun barrel. It was subsequently replaced by the current one. By the time this reach Bov (1952), it had lost its gun, commander's cupola, turret rear hatch & track skirts(All still missing). The gun is wedged in place with a wooden block! The plate carrying the Driver's & RO's hatch is reversed and the tracks have been replaced with the later single link versions.
In addition to the ex-Shrivenham exhibit, a further turret, from the one destroyed at Le Plessis Grimoult, was supposed to have made the Channel crossing, but no trace of it is found in any reports.
It's also the only King Tiger to have been knocked out by a 2" mortar.
The tank was discovered whilst re-arming, a 2" mortar bomb hit the ammunition lorry, which blew up, displacing the turret from the Tiger.

#147: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:20 am
    ----
Jagdtiger. Info for P-O, the Museum says it was captured at Sennelager

Massimo

#148: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:22 am
    ----
Sturmtiger 38 cm mortar. The tank wa scrapped after the war, only this remains Crying or Very sad

Massimo

#149: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:25 am
    ----
Panther Ausf. F Schmalturm. It was found in September 1976 at Larkhill range in Wiltshire:

Massimo

#150: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:49 am
    ----
youtu.be/W6LL4tCTXEs
Here's the Jagdtiger, running in captivity. Recognisable due to being the Porsche suspension & missing road wheel & escape hatch.
Bov's Sturmtiger.
As captured.

At Bov (Note Bergpanther too, also scrapped - maybe both were used as range targets first?)

Schmalturm as I remember it at Bov, shortly after its recovery.

As usual, I'm impressed by how clear & well-lit your photos are!

-> AFV News Discussion Board