Bovington
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#736: Re: Bovington 2011 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:05 pm
    ----
With Google Maps you better post links and avoid iframes here Smile

Massimo

#737: Re: Bovinton 2011 Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:50 pm
    ----
The link between the Sdkfz Foundation, now renamed The Weald Foundation, and Bovington has been discussed in a few magazine articles and forae, them restoring at FT 17 was mentioned in January on the HMVF forum.
They have been helping The Tank Museum with their Tiger's engine.
Other snippets?
www.kentnews.co.uk/def...ford.co.uk

Mr Ridd said the foundation was working with war museums throughout Europe in an attempt to bring the tank restoration project to fruition.

He added: "The centenary of the start of World War One is going to be a major international event, and we are looking at restoring four tanks to full running condition.

"One is the Mark IV in Ashford and we also have two French tanks currently in bits in our workshop. We also want to restore a German LKII, of which only two prototypes were ever made."

I think this may be their establishment, as seen on Google Maps
maps.google.co.uk/maps...a=N&tab=wl
Then again,it may come as a gibberish, knowing my luck with html here!
Edit, it did! So a link!

Last edited by Pzkpfw-e on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

#738: Bovington Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:13 pm
    ----
I've spend a few days in Bovington last week. It was my first visit ever and I really had a great time. I've took thousands of pictures and will start posting them asap. I also collected some interesting info that I'll try to post along too.

Let's start with the first news. If I remember correctely, P-O heard voices of an FT-17's hull acquired by an UK-based collector. I can confirm that. In fact the whole running gear from Bovington's FT-17 is currently disassembled, to be used as a pattern and help restoring another FT-17 in the UK that was missing all the running gear. The plan is to also build an engine for this FT-17 and make it a runner. If everything goes well there will be two engines and Bovington's tank will run again too.

Seems like this new FT-17 is owned by the SDKFZ Foundation.
There are also "rumours" about the possibility that in the future Bovington could host and display some vehicles from SDKFZ Foundation.

Massimo

Last edited by Massimo_Foti on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

-> AFV News Discussion Board